cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Human Planet

N/A

The Human Planet

Did anybody see this programme on BBC1 last night?  It was the third of eight and absolutely brilliant.  I'm not sure that I would have made a point of watching it but John Hurt is narrating and he is my favourite actor and I am glad that I did.
The point is made at the beginning of the episode that man is the only living creature to have adapted to, and made a home in every region of the planet.  It is an arresting thought.  To see these people survive in such harsh conditions is truly amazing and makes one realize how pampered we are as we grumble about a week or so of snow and ice.
It's on iPlayer so if you missed it and fancy catching up I can thoroughly recommend it. 
16 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: The Human Planet

its also repeated with signing for TOM
DOCUMENTARY: Human Planet On: BBC 1Date: Wednesday 2nd February 2011
Time: 01:40 to 02:40 (1 hour long)
Oceans: Into the Blue. Episode 1.
As an air-breathing animal, the human is not built to survive in water. But people have found ways to live an almost aquatic life so they can exploit the sea's riches. From a 'shark-whisperer' in the Pacific to Brazilian fishermen collaborating with dolphins to catch mullet, this journey into the blue reveals astonishing tales of ingenuity and bravery. Daredevil Galician barnacle-collectors defy death on the rocks for a catch worth 200 pounds per kilo.
(Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Audio Described, Signed, Subtitles, 2010)

or on HD for episode 3
DOCUMENTARY: Human Planet On: BBC HD (54)    Date: Monday 31st January 2011
Time: 00:00 to 01:00 (1 hour long)
Arctic: Life in the Deep Freeze. Episode 3.
Human Planet tells remarkable stories of extraordinary people who make their homes in the Arctic, the harshest environment on Earth. Little food grows, it is dark for months on end, and temperatures stay well below freezing for much of the year. Yet four million people manage to survive here. These include Amos and Karl-Frederik, who set out across the sea ice with their dogs to catch a real-life sea monster; and Inuit mussel-gatherers, who venture underneath the sea ice to gather their food.
(Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles, Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Described, 2010)
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
nadger
Rising Star

SWMBO loves that type of programme so we always watch them. Quite agree about John Hurt, he's a great narrator.
One fact that surprised me was Inuit getting vitamin C from skin of a narwhal and it was better than eating an orange.
Only seen Greenland once - flight to Toronto took a northerly route and I was able to get some photographs  Smiley
N/A

Quite agree about John Hurt, he's a great narrator.

Yes, and I am having an awful job not signing up for Sky - I'm having to turn the volume down each time the advertisement comes on!  Grin
If I am missing on the forum you will know I have succumbed.  Sad
jmd
Grafter

Drat - I forgot to record last night's episode [but will on Monday night - thanks Pierre] but have enjoyed series so far.  The water one was impressive with those fishermen diving in a tangle of pipes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

These guys really live on the edge, I wonder what the fatality rate is ?
Going under the ice when the sea was out for 30 minutes, the near loss of a sledge plus dogs had that gap been any wider & having to shift camp quickly as the ice was breaking up under you.
Amazing how much there was in this one program.
Essential viewing.
N/A

Yes, there was so much to think about but what was most memorable for me was the young Sami girl Elle. Given a herd of reindeer at birth, it was now her responsibility to care for them.
There she was, handling these animals (a dangerous thing to do even for a strong man), and herding them across the water to fresh pasture.  When one youngster decided to turn back (which would have caused them all to return), she leant out of the very tiny boat and righted it, thereby ensuring the success of the migration.
When I think of teenager girls in our culture who often seem so feckless with heads full of trivia, the chasm between them is truly astonishing.
nadger
Rising Star

One part of the programmes that I really enjoy is last 10 mins when they show how things are done to obtain the footage.
Something that will always stick in my mind is from a previous series. They were filming birds diving into a shoal of fish when suddenly a whale's mouth appeared and scooped up the shoal - awesome.
Steve
Pro

Watched this On BBC iplayer this morning, Really enjoyed It, I, Like nadger like the " Behind the lens" footage, The trouble they go to to make these particular programmes Is worth my License fee. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I recall in one series a bit where they were trying to film a rarely seen Snow Leopard, the camera man had been camped out for nearly 2 months in the Snow and was close to calling it a day when he got some fantastic footage of this leopard chasing a mountain goat down what looked like a sheer rock face.
It was probably no more than a minute and a half of filming but made up for all that time spent in wait !
Steve
Pro

I seem to remember that gleneagles, I cant remember what the series was called though, Could It of been cameraman Gordon Buchanan? Or Explorer Steve Backshall?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Think it was in Search of the Snow leapord, two episodes, but it has been shown in others as well
nadger
Rising Star

@poppy - I hope your watching the One Show with John Hurt  Smiley
N/A

Oh, that's a shame  - just logged on, found your message and obviously am too late - must have missed it.  Will check to see if it is on iPlayer.
Thanks for the info.
nadger
Rising Star