cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Home Office

N/A

The Home Office

Whenever there is one of those house moving programmes on television, the would-be movers always seem to put a high priority on having a home office. I myself have a bedroom given over to this function. In it is a three-draw filing cabinet, a computer desk, office chair, bureau and laundry basket. 
My mum used to have all her precious paperwork in a handbag (I still have it, complete with all our old school reports).
This seems to me a perfectly simple way of living - an old handbag can be purchased quite cheaply at the local charity shop and it takes very little space.
What did I do wrong to amass all this rubbish or is life becoming too complicated?
40 REPLIES
N/A

Re: The Home Office

Whats the difference between a bedroom with a desk in it, and a home office?
Not much really.
I suppose its like the difference between a twin room with two single beds, and two single rooms.
Some would prefer the former, some the latter.
I like having an office (bedroom #3 without a bed in it) because it means I can close the door on work, and enjoy the rest of my home as a home. I'd prefer it if it was on the ground floor, but its not a huge issue to work upstairs.
I suppose if I didn't have to work from home sometimes, I'd be satisfied with a different solution. As it is, it works for me.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I would like a home office, but my wife has "Borrowed" two of the small 'Box' bedrooms for her crafting activities, one with her library of nearly 600 books, a worktop etc, the other still has a bed in it, but you cant see it for all the boxes of stock?  me I work with the lap top on my knee.  Crazy
James
Grafter

My Home Office Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Couldn't agree more. This bungalow my wife and I live in is in theory 2 bed, but I've "converted (commandeered) into what I euphemistically call my "den" this is a tiny room (how anybody ever used it as a bedroom is beyond me) and used for everything I do computer-wise, a rehearsal room, library and general get-away-from-it-all room.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My hobby is listening to shortwave radio.  To do this, I need a small "office" area, where I can put my radio(s), 2 in number, and have a desk to write on, and somewhere to keep my reference books, paper, pencils etc etc... I also use my laptop in conjunction with the radio(s) as some programs can be obtained for the purpose of decoding the "noises"....  A lot of "radio hams" are so dedicated, that they require a workshop too.... I used to do that, but not so much now.... the "dedicated" people usually have a specially converted shed at the bottom of the garden.... My "communication centre" is in our main bedroom.....  it is contained inside a 4foot wide (double) wardrobe, ..... this has been constructed so as to provide all the necessary shelves for 2 radios, 2 printers, my laptop, a scanner,  a work desk area, and space for my reference books.... I also have a normal landline phone on the inside wall, which is the line to my wireless router.... When not in use, it looks just like a normal wardrobe..... I have used variations on this theme for many house moves, as some places needed two wardrobes joined togeter"..... The latest is the "posh" version, as it was custom made in the local pine shop, and adapted by me for maximum use of the interior space...
What I like best is I am not "at the bottom of the garden" in a cold shed, or requires extra heating, and if my wife wants to speak to me, she doesn`t have to phone me up ! ! !...
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
me I work with the lap top on my knee.  Crazy

Haven't you read the reports on how that can affect you Wink
Since getting a wireless router I use a laptop on the table in kitchen diner more than the pc upstairs.
My wife's parents used to put all their paid bills on a metal spike with wooden base. After they were both dead it was like a history trip as I was clearing things to get probate.
Community Veteran

My mum used to have all her precious paperwork in a handbag

That must make you my step daughter then................ cos my 2nd wife does that! ! ! !  She carries this so called handbag, on her shoulder..... it is like a "mini" kitbag. and weighs about 50 kilos.... (!) she keeps complaining about how heavy it is, and I keep telling her to take the kitchen sink out and leave it at home, but she insists she "needs everything" in there.....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@ Nadger, why should I worry, my names not Charles Chaplin, long since had the 5 kids between me an the wife who is a Great Gran in her own right.
@ James, how does the uver arf listen to the Tele with those speakers, or do you make her wear headphones?
Cheesy Cheesy Grin Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran

Pierre............ forum rules......... number of smileys ! !  wotch it  moderators about............ Roll eyes Shocked Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I would like a home office, but my wife has "Borrowed" two of the small 'Box' bedrooms for her crafting activities, one with her library of nearly 600 books, a worktop etc, the other still has a bed in it, but you cant see it for all the boxes of stock?  me I work with the lap top on my knee.  Crazy
Snap - although in my case my wife has appropriated on of the large bedrooms for her art studio and I have a little box room for my office
James
Grafter

@ James, how does the uver arf listen to the Tele with those speakers, or do you make her wear headphones?

Which James....
Bob_Milton
Grafter

How does this compare?
N/A

My home office is useful - that one is useless!
Mind you, I've occasionally lost the odd CD in my office too.. but at least I found mine again.
Community Veteran

I`ve still got the key to my "office"  (aka wardrobe), so it is fairly "secure".... not too big, so difficult to lose anything in it.... Roll eyes