cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Gurkhas fight on

tiddles
Grafter

The Gurkhas fight on

When will the government get this shocking state of affairs sorted out once and for all?
Please bring this story to the attention of your mp - it's a disgrace!
Gurkha veteran Madan Gurung talks about his fight to stay in the UK
Five retired Gurkhas and the widow of another veteran are fighting a legal battle for the right to remain in Britain - the country they fought for, and say they love.
The test case has taken nearly two years to come to court.
Madan Gurung, 54, a Gurkha who served with the British Army for 24 years until he retired in 1993, is hoping he will now finally be able to put down roots in the UK.
At the moment is staying with friends and well-wishers.
But he stresses he is not ill, does not want to settle here for benefits or free medical treatment, and wants to work.
"If I'd been given the right to stay here I'd be happy to serve the Crown again," he says.
"We are hardworking people."

Story from BBC NEWS:

full story
Published: 2008/09/15 23:40:49 GMT
© BBC MMVIII
27 REPLIES
geewizz
Grafter

Re: The Gurkhas fight on

On the other hand they did sign away the rights they are claiming to UK residency when they signed up.
N/A

Hmm, easy to see both sides of the argument on this one.
I think the fact that the rules changed relatively recently to allow retired Gurkhas to remain in the country should be taken into account though, and on this basis the right should be granted to all of them.
If the rules hadn't changed, perhaps my stance might be different.
itsme
Grafter

The Gurkhas were part of the Indian Army. When India got independance 4 regiments were transferred to the British Army. The Indian Army still has more Gurkha regiments then Britian. The British Gurkha were based in Hong Kong from 1948 to 1997 and I believe that they have a right to stay in Hong Kong after 4 years service. Since 1997 after 4 years service they have the right to stay in the UK.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Will the Gurkha's who are "illegal" be sent back to Hong-Kong then?

itsme
Grafter

Cause not because they are Nepalese.
Community Veteran

Something like 35000 died fighting for us in various wars will they need permission to stay? Its seems crazy when our town has had 6000 Poles come to live here with out a bye your leave. Surely if you fight for years in our army its should be a right to stay here they have earned it.
itsme
Grafter

I believe that the rules for foreigners serving  in the British forces that after 4 years service you are entitled to stay in the country that you are stationed in. Unfortunately the Gurkha's were not stationed in the UK until 1997. Before that they were stationed in various countries including Singapore and Hong Kong and I believe that both of these countries do have a number of ex-Gurkhas living there.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: samuria
Surely if you fight for years in our army its should be a right to stay here they have earned it.

I agree with you 100%
pierre_pierre
Grafter

techguy
Grafter

Good for them
If anyone deserves a right to stay, they do.
Heloman
Grafter

They have far more right to stay in this country than almost any other of the thousands of "foreigners" who are granted residence here. I think it's been a disgrace that they had fight through the High Court even to get the present review of their situation. They are not scroungers. They are good, decent, intensely loyal people who are prepared to work for their living. We owe them better than their current treatment.....................
techguy
Grafter

Yes indeed Harold
I doubt many of the scroungers would get off their a... if we found ourselves in a war situation.
Frankly, I think we'd be in a far better state if they were in government as they obviously care a darn sight more about this once great land than Brown and his butt licking companions
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pierre_pierre
we Won   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7644441.stm

REALLY great news - well done to all concerned it getting this to the high court
Smiley Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Heloman
They have far more right to stay in this country than almost any other of the thousands of "foreigners" who are granted residence here. I think it's been a disgrace that they had fight through the High Court even to get the present review of their situation. They are not scroungers. They are good, decent, intensely loyal people who are prepared to work for their living. We owe them better than their current treatment.....................

I agree with you 100%