cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Gurkha Justice Campaign

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The Gurkha Justice Campaign

There was a news item on the BBC website yesterday about this. Although (as you may have seen) a case was won in September - the government still has not conceded that men who retired from the Gurkhas prior to 1997 and their families should have an automatic right of residence in this country. Given the service that the Gurkhas have given to this country over almost 200 years it is the least we should do. Joanna Lumley is hoping to take a petition with 1,000,000 names to Downing Street at the end of November.
The petition can be found here: http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/
Joanna Lumley's short video about it is here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=InjrGSHMQ2I
Please pass this on.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The Gurkha Justice Campaign

Another disgraceful act by this government.  If they had been Muslim preachers spreading hate about us we not only would have let them stay, we would have given them a house and social security to live on.  I've signed the petition.
techguy
Grafter

Me too
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

This nu-Labour shower do seem to have some strange priorities  Roll eyes
Signed - good on yer Joanna 
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Not watched that but she has very strong  Family associations with the Gurkha's and was born in India

The Indian-born actress told how she felt indebted to the frail 84-year-old who risked his life in 1944 to rescue her dad Captain James
Heloman
Grafter

Thanks for the link. Been there , done it.
I feel very strongly about this injustice.
techguy
Grafter

We let any scumbag foreigners in but kick out the decent people that just happen to come from another country but were prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice for us.

Why?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Given the service that the Gurkhas have given to this country over almost 200 years it is the least we should do.

The Gurkhas have only been part of the British Army since 1947, India independence. Before that they were part of the Indian Army and after independence the regiments were split between the India and British armies with India retaining more regiments. After the split the British Gurkhas were stationed in Hong Kong until 1997. They do have a right to stay in Hong Kong if they were stationed there for 4 years or more. After 1997 the gurkhas have been based in the UK and again they have right of residency after being stationed here for 4 years or more.
Could a change in the law to allow the gurkhus that fall outside the current requirements open the floodgates to other oversea regiments to claim residency in the UK?
Community Veteran

I signed too.
Write to your MP as well. You can do that from here http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have signed the petition.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I hope everyone who has signed has passed the message on as well!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

This may be of an interest read especially the law/rules for foreign service personnel settlement in the UK. A change in the law to allow Gurkhas to stay in the UK will also apply to other foreign serviceman. My posting this is to highlight the problem facing the government.
It also could be a problem in the pass as the new Maoist government may banned Nepalese joining. I have encountered the Maoist when visiting Nepal as they have checkpoints where they impose a voluntary charge to visitors under the guise of supporting the villages. Most of the money go to support the Maoist and you are made to fear for your safety if you don't pay.
Routes to ‘Settlement’ and UK Naturalisation. Since 22 Nov 06 eligible Commonwealth citizens serving in the Regular element of the UK Armed Forces have been able to count their service, at home and overseas, towards the 5 year residency criteria for applications for British citizenship whilst still serving providing they meet the other Home Office criteria .  Applications including passing the ‘Life in the UK Test’ and the payment of the fee, are a personal matter between the individual and the Home Office.  Once the serving soldier has successfully gained UK citizenship, dependants may initially apply for 2 years’ leave as the spouse/civil partner of a British citizen and then settlement also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). ILR normally gives recourse to public funds and generally precludes the need to purchase further UK visas. Once dependants have obtained ILR, they too may apply for naturalisation providing they have by that stage been resident in the UK for at least 3 years. Time spent accompanying their spouse on service overseas may also count towards the three-year UK residency requirement.  Additional detail is available on the Army’s Commonwealth citizens and their families and BIA websites, details of which are at the end of this guide. 
Dependent spouses/civil partners may also apply for ILR in line with an application for settlement lodged by their discharged spouse/civil partner or in their own right if they have been continuously resident in the UK for 10 years or more.  Once granted settlement and provided that they meet the criteria for UK naturalisation, spouses/civil partners may then apply for UK Naturalisation. The Army has raised the subject of simultaneous applications where one of the applicants is a serving soldier.  The Home Office response has confirmed the current situation explaining that because soldiers and their accompanying dependants are treated under different provisions within UK immigration legislation, simultaneous applications for UK naturalisation are not possible. Application forms, fees and guides may be obtained from the Home Office website. 
Gurkha personnel are not included in the above policy as they remain Nepalese citizens whilst serving with the Brigade.  Gurkhas seeking British citizenship may do so either by transferring to the wider Army after 5 years service (when they can take advantage of the UK naturalisation policy), or after discharge, by initially applying for settlement and then naturalisation as a British Citizen.  Again their service period counts towards the relevant residency requirement.