cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Great British Olympics 2008

geewizz
Grafter

The Great British Olympics 2008

I've been watching some of the BBC coverage of the Olympics and it appears to me that something is not quite right.  The distance running is my kind of sport. I admire the marathon runners who have the stamina to push on for mile after mile at speeds that I could only match at full sprint for about 200m. I'm particularly interested in those that complete the course in the lead. Not the BBC though. Their interest lies solely in the runners in Team GB vests. The commentators covering the women's marathon just didn't; They followed a narrow agendum which focussed on the Brits in the race ... even when they were well out of the race.
I'm fully aware of what the first B in BBC stands for but it would be spiffing of them to mention who has won the event as an aside after they have spoken at length about the stories of the Team GB athletes who lost.
The coverage of the Olympics by the BBC is woefully short on anything except what the Brits have done. It takes something spectacular like the bombshell of the mens 100m final for a non-British story to make the front page of the BBC's Olympics page and for there to be anything more than a statistic recorded anywhere on the site. It doesn't bode well for the 2012 Games.  Undecided
I'm off to search the net for some news of the Olympics from some other countries. I would really like to find a less colloquial perspective on this great meeting of sports from around the world.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The Great British Olympics 2008

I know what you mean but I guess all countries do the same thing.  The one exception i think is the coverage the Beeb has given to Michael Phelps, and justifiably so.  A tremendous record.
dgdclynx
Grafter

I think another reason may be the time allocated to each event for the commentators which is not as much as they usually get with the continuous jumping about.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

While I agree to some extent with geewizz, I'm  not sure its quite as bad as he implies. However, the inane interviews with the participants following the events should be stopped immediately, until the interviewers can come up with a new set of questions. John Inverdale should be sent home ASAP as the most boring commentator of the games.
My particular poison has been the indoor cycling, well done guys and gals. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And more...
I'm not over-interested in track events, watching a bunch of long distance runners circling a track for long periods does nothing for me I'm afraid, I'm sure its all very technical, but pretty boring to watch. No, give me the field events any time. And I've quite enjoyed the "red-button" coverage of some of the lesser popular sports, archery, table tennis in particular badminton and a number of others, where the BBC bias is not so evident, presumably because they're sharing feed with other countries.
Back to commentators; I think the bubbly enthusiasm of anchor Hazel Irving should be a lesson to all.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Most of the BBC's coverage seems to be with their own cameras.  I surprised the Chinese haven't insisted on providing a feed to all broadcasters so that they can control the output.  I thought there would have been more protests than we have seen so far.
Fixes: 47

Yes...it does all seem to have gone rather better than expected so far. Could be down to huge police presence though Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

I think Geewizz is completely wrong. Cram and Foster knowledge and love of the sport come through in their commentary irrespective of the nationality of the competitor. I'm not sure what control the BBC have on the video feeds but we have to remember that Ratcliffe is a world class runner and hold the record for the marathon and therefore would have cameras following her irrespective of broadcasting company.
I agree that after the races it does seem that the BBC only seem to be interested in the GB competitors going by the immediate interviews but this could be down to the competitors. Phelps for instance would not give interviews to foreign broadcasters.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Yes...it does all seem to have gone rather better than expected so far. Could be down to huge police presence though Smiley

Yes, you could be right.  We can't see what's happening behind the cameras. Whenever an incident has occurred the police have appeared instantly.
It will also be interesting to revisit the locations in say a year's time to see what's happened to them.  I bet they won't remain for the population to use.  A recent visit to the facilities provided in Athens saw them in a very rundown state and not being used for anything at all.
madjbright
Grafter

I think that the live coverage of the women's marathon was excellent. Plenty of coverage of the whole race, including competitors from other nations. Do not forget Liz led most of the first half , even after she tripped, 2 of the 3 British competitors were with the leading group until 30k and Mara was with them until the end.
geewizz
Grafter

I should maybe make it clear that I was commenting about the BBC's coverage of the Olympics on the internet, both on the i-player and through the news pages. I don't know what they are broadcasting on terrestrial television or satellite channels. I haven't been listening to any radio coverage either. My comments were purely about the view I get through the BBC's internet feeds.
I'm happy that some of the British sports people have done well and have won medals. I would just like to be able to read about the wider picture and to view some of other competitions. It's the Olympics as a whole that I feel should be covered, not just the events that are lit in red, white and blue.
Community Veteran

We're certainly setting ourselves a challenge for 2012 with our success at these games.  There'll be a lot of pressure for more money to be pumped into sports after these results.