cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Great British Justice System

Steve
Pro

The Great British Justice System

Not, Some say this man should of been given the same sentence as a terrorist. What do you say?
Dundee bomber back on streets after seven months
A former Royal Marine who set off a homemade bomb in a Dundee tenement is to be released from prison today, just seven months into his three-year jail term.
Allan Peach’s improvised device — a hair gel tub stuffed with explosives, blew out windows and took doors off their hinges at the building in Cullen Place last June.
The Courier understands that Peach will be released from Perth Prison today on home detention curfew to an address in Dundee, after being fitted with an electronic tag.

Full story
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: The Great British Justice System

Original sentence was correct, with that he would have been out in 18 months.
Utterly stupid to put peoples lives at risk in this way but the Police would hopefully been convinced of why he was making a bomb and accepted it was an act of stupidity rather than as a target against someone or something, had this been the case then he should have been correctly charged with a terrorist offense and got a sentence in line with that.
As a former marine the authorities would already have a fair amount of information on what he was like as a person along with views he held on various things and if they discovered anything relevant then he would have been charged with something more serious.
As a side issue people living in flats or close to other people expect them to behave in a responsible way but unfortunately this is not always the case and some people do not consider how the results of their activities may affect others.
Steve
Pro

But he has been released 7 month after being sentenced. That Is not even half of a half because I don't believe that tagging Is a good way to punish someone like this. I've had In the past people I no longer associate with actually thinking It was super cool to be tagged. Sad
thejudge
Grafter

I haven't got the details, but I suspect what has happened is this:
He was given a three-year sentence in November '12.
In normal circumstances, he would have been released after 18 months (i.e. about May '14).
He could apply for release on a tag, but the earliest he could have got out would have been 4 months before his halfway point, i.e. 14 months, which would have put his release date as around Jan. 14.
What has probably happened is that the time he spent on remand in custody prior to conviction would count against time to be served. By that reckoning, he would have spent about 7 months on remand. Add that to the 7 months since he was sentenced, and his 14 months is now up.
In other words, this is standard.
Because of the offence he was convicted of, he would not have been released on a tag if the authorities assessed that he was an unacceptable risk. Scant consolation to his neighbours, I know, but there's nothing unusual in how this case has been dealt with.
Community Veteran

@thejudge is spot on. A very likely assessment.
I have "very knowledgeable" (i.e. UK expert authority on sentencing) expertise "on hand" on these issues.
Tagging/curfew will be used when the risk is assessed as low. e.g. Chris Huhne and his ex-wife. Saves lots of taxpayers money.
itsme
Grafter

Save money? The only money it will save is on food all other costs i.e. staff, heating etc will still be the same whether he is inside or not. How much does it cost to monitor a tag and does it cost less than the food saving?
Community Veteran

Last time I looked prisoners were housed in prisons. These are of course built for free and maintained and serviced for free and the staff are all volunteers.  Roll eyes
It's the "Big Society" in operation at last.  Grin