Did you mean: 

The Good Old Days

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The Good Old Days

- and yes kids, it really was like this Wink

the good old days (3).jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: The Good Old Days

Now show us the how to look after your wife page?

Our parents knew stuff. The wife who followed this advice probably got good support from her hubby. I bet she could twiddle him round her little finger!
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Must have been written by a bloke  ! ..Cheesy

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

What happened to the "surrendered wife" popular in the US a decade or so ago?

Community Veteran

When I think back to when I was a kid I'm always impressed how hard my dear old Mum used to work as a "mere" housewife.

No easy way to do anything. Clothes hand washed in the gas boiler then through the mangle. Preparing all the meals from basic ingredients. Maintaining the vegetable garden and looking after the chickens. Keeping fires going......................etc an endless full time job. But still time for "listen with mother" on the radio.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

shutter wrote:

Must have been written by a bloke  ! ..Cheesy

Not guilty... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Old days ?

I guess there are some countries where a version of these rules still apply.

Wink

Minivanman
Hero

I'm guessing there are some areas of this country where a version of these rule still apply. Sad

PS. Just to add that I found what looked to be the original version of this and another bit said something along the lines of never contradicting your husband and get this, 'know your place'. Blimey, we point with disgust at other countries traditions today and yet ours in living memory only seems to be missing the Burka.

Maybe we in the West should 'know our place'.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

@billnotben  Yes, it's interesting that housewives, often with a large family, found time to do so much with such basic technology, including finding time to cook meals.  I remember a few years ago seeing an unemployed mother of an overweight 10-year-old daughter claiming she didn't have time to cook therefore her daughter's diet consisted almost entirely of helping herself from a cupboard stocked with chocolates and crisps.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman

But should, ' We in the West know our place' ?

We could discuss for ever what the word 'progress' means in respect of society but as we become more educated, people in all the various groups of society want better rights which of course means other groups may have to give up something thus the resistance to change.

We in the West having travelled along that path have now reached a point where many groups today are more empowered than they have ever been, do we then not have a responsibility to help others achieve this or should we say,' We are ok so lets not bother about others ?

NB: Argumentative hat on today !Wink

Minivanman
Hero

Progress indeed, but how long has it taken, how recent is it, and what still needs to be done? A fair bit I should imagine so I do have one heck of problem with telling others how to put their house in order when our own is still has cracks in it.

Lets guide others by all means but a just, fair and equal society is not a one size fits all solution to be imposed on traditions and practices far older than our own.  Africa, the Middle and Far East and the Americas functioned fine for thousands of years without borders and without interference and now we have the audacity to impose the Western model of values and religion and even health care on them and carved up those ancient lands at our convenience.

I hear what you are saying but there if there is a lot wrong with how others conduct themselves then we as nation need to take a much closer look at ourselves, our own values and yes, to know our own place - which is not theirs.

Own argumentative hat firmly on head. Smiley