cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Good Life

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

The Good Life

BBC are going to do a "real live version"   of the program.....

If you are interested....    If the Good Life is for you, email therealgoodlife@bbc.co.uk to find out more.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/classic-1970s-sitcom-good-life-12433567

8 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: The Good Life

Blimey, not another contrived reality program! 

I wonder if unlike the original characters, participants will have kids kicking around. 

It was an excellent television in it's time - and I certainly had the hots for Barbara! But did they succeed with the good life, or did Tom go back to working with Jerry? I forget. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

mmmmm Felicity Kendal  Kiss 

I only watched it for her too @Minivanman

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 178

@Minivanman wrote:

But did they succeed with the good life, or did Tom go back to working with Jerry? I forget. 

Excellent TV and only a couple of years ago I watched the entire series.

It ends after Tom and Barbara's house was broken into and ransacked. Jerry offered Tom his old job back but they both refused the offer to continue with their 'bizzar life'. It ended with a toast to ''the good life".

There was a short played out later that year at the Royal Variety Performance.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

It would be hard to do nowadays as seeds, fertilizer, heating, and various sprays are so expensive.

And if you want to sell any products like eggs etc you have a shed load of rules and regulations just on what you feed the animals.

The days of the good life are gone. It can't be much more than an expensive hobby now.

Even the good old school harvest festival is a crock. Any schools that still do it usually only want tinned items.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@billnotben wrote:
The days of the good life are gone. It can't be much more than an expensive hobby now.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, as there are plenty of people doing similar things today as Tom & Barbara did back then, yes there's not really any methane generators in the cellar or pea-pod wine on tap (which apparently is pretty disgusting anyway!), but there are people using their land as places to grow food and keep poultry to supplement their supplies, and they enjoy it... Smiley

Seeds you can get cheaply, and after that for free when you let the plants go to seed, fertilisers you can garner through composting (kitchen & garden waste, and even human waste too) which costs nowt, heating, well, that's dependent on what you meant by heating (household, greenhouse, hot water?), but not unattainable, and sprays, well, if you need them, you're not doing a good job at maintaining your crops... Smiley

The real cost is the hard work that needs to be put into it all, I'd love to get it started myself, but as I seem to be the only one in this household interested in it, it's not an easy task to do by myself, so, I've been putting it off, but should do it someday... Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Are there people like Tom and Barbara out there?

You'd need a fair bit of land not to say enthusiasm to be truly self sufficient and quite honestly, I don't think the modern world allows for it. Many years back there were local markets to trade with, you'd live by the season, salt down food and store grain for those long winters, wear homespun, and be tucked up in bed by dark as decent candles were unaffordable. You'd have Council tax to pay of course. What about water and heating..... or even heating water. I'd really miss my hot mornings shower!

It's a nice thought but without doubt there would be a resource gap, and it would only to work I would suggest alongside cash income from one partner working, or maybe one with a talent for painting or writing. Maybe a bed and breakfast business would help, but would you stay somewhere without all those modern conveniences.

WiFi, what's that? Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Are there people like Tom and Barbara out there?

There are, but they have adapted with the times, of course, it's not easy being green, but when it comes to growing your own food that you did all by yourself, there's a certain level of pride and sense of accomplishment that goes with it... Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Amen to that, and we have a little veg garden to prove it.

But true self sufficiency especially in a modern society like ours? Well quite honestly I'd like to see (and admire) it. What happens if we get sick, when we retire, what about our pensions as presumably no tax is being paid for any of this. Past family structures, church, and community charities supported us in our old age prior to the industrial revolution but now, I just don't see how it could work other than in part as suggested.

All power to the plants, chickens an optional extra. Thumbs Up