nadger
Rising Star

The Flying Scotsman

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: The Flying Scotsman

Looks good I will be watching that !
I Know nothing about trains but I think some group have build a brand new Steam Train during the last few years, no doubt others will know more about this and how it's getting on.
nadger
Rising Star

From memory one called Tornado was built.
Fixes: 123

Remember seeing the Flying Scotsman back in '72 or '73 in South Devon - Kinsgwear, I think.
Magnificent machine.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nadger
From memory one called Tornado was built.

Yup... and I think it cost about £3M for just the one engine !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yep but when you think about it, Tornado was built over 19 years so 3 mill over 19 years isn't much per year in the grand scheme of things. Sure, it's still a lot of money but more manageble over a longer period.
Interesting how two or three millionaires found themselves in trouble with the flying scotsman... also a shame that the NRM are struggling with it too - in the workshop in bits for its 90th birthday. Incredible that its 90 years old though isn't it.. I doubt there are many folks alive who even remember it coming out the factory door!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Travelled behind the Flying Scotsman pulling the Flying Scotsman from York to Darlington when I was much younger.
Only had a ticket to Northallerton but it was too good to miss. Was not caught though and managed to get back to Northallerton too without being caught!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

You'll have to hope British Rail don't follow this forum and contact PN for your address lol. They still got what.. 25 days of existence left..
Talking of which, they've pulled a very sneaky one. British Rail (officially British Railways Board Residuary) are being put out of business at the end of this month but will continue to exist on paper as companies at companies house. It would be funny to seem them go out with a bang though somehow. I could just see them issuing someone like Ned a fine (as a joke) on the last day (making headlines) but then being out of business to even take the money lol.
Community Veteran

I very much doubt the guard/ticket inspector is still alive after all this time (50+ years ago).  Cool
Still, it would make a helluva story for the likes of BR to finish on and I would be happy to take part! (but unhappy about the final demise of BR).  Cry
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd
(but unhappy about the final demise of BR).  Cry

Me too. I'm gutted, really gutted. I have many happy memories of BR from my own childhood. I still remember when Network SouthEast was formed and all the old slammers were repainted to the Red / White / Blue livery. Despite being the same trains they looked absolutely MINT! I loved them so much. Unfortunately they were never maintained brilliantly and by the time these new plastic things came in, with their 1/2 cm of sponge in each seat, I realised I missed the slammers even more than I ever thought I would. I think there is only one class 421 left in existence now. I know there is a class 411 in stagecoach colours (similar to NSE) but when I last saw that the rust was setting in  Cry I got to go on it for a short ride last year being pulled by a diesel loco and it was wonderful.. the old comfy seats, the smell... ah it really did bring it back. I know BR were unpopular for the lack of cleanliness etc but they ran on 1/5 of todays railway subsidy. Yes.. a fifth! Hardly seems possible does it. If BR had been given the money it really needed back then instead of being crucified we'd have the worlds best publicly owned railway today which operates for the people not for profit (or loss).
Here's one for you lot though, anyone noticed that the number of railway programmes on TV seems to be increasing a lot at the moment? - Every week there seems to be at least two or three railway programmes on now proving just how popular the railways still are.
Community Veteran

Ah happy days eh.  Wink
We all went on a steam pulled train from Leeming village to some place in the North Yorks moors (Redmire?) last year. All old BR coaches but with one small difference - a bar in each one!
Had a BBQ at the turnround and more booze and Wensleydale cheese on the return.  Cheesy
It's something we shall be doing each year now!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Indeed, they really were the days. I'm too young to remember steam but the local heritage line down the road from me uses steam and the odd class 101 diesel. Incredible machines the steam engines even though I prefer the old electric slam doors!
This really was the greatest bit of kit that British Rail ever had - the class 421:

Actually i'm not sure if that is a 421 or a 423 - one had a door between every seat and the other had less doors. I can never remember which was which but I miss them both!
The wonderful comfy inside with generously thick foam!:

And after over 40 years of loyal service without computer faults..:

And the really upsetting pictures  Cry:

nadger
Rising Star

I suppose I must be one of the only forum members who travelled from Euston to Scotland behind an LMS steam engine. First time was in 1935 but I don't remember much about it  Wink
Last time was in 1947 and I'll always remember the water troughs referred to in programme. Water spraying up onto train when scoop was down.
Was never really into LNER, LMS or SR as grew up with GWR and the mighty King Class locos - another Pacific 462 type  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Although I could be "mildly" accused of being a steam enthusiast.... the actual "experience" of travelling behind a steam locomotive is no real difference than behind a diesel or electric loco.  If you put the old BR coaches behind one of these modern streamlined trains, you would not "experience" anything different....  ( apart from not having smoke clouds crossing the window, and lumps of coal being collected by your eyes and hair, when you shove your head out of the window.!).  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Indeedy.The steam engines themselves are fascinating bits of kit considering they are basically a bomb on wheels however as you say shutter, you'd never know the difference when being pulled along.
@nadger there was something in the scotsman programme about the water scoops and troughs, I never knew they existed back then so was utterly amazed that a train could pickup fresh water while moving. Thats just incredible considering the lack of technology they had back then!
Bring back BRITISH RAIL!!!