Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The F35 Saga

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

The F35 Saga

Looks like the F35 saga is still continuing   Sad   and could be years before its ready so looks likely the Navy will have aircraft carriers with no planes

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/01/it-could-be-years-before-billion-dollar-war-toy-f-3...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
14 REPLIES
Railman1
Dabbler

Re: The F35 Saga

I can't even get a 'carrier,' without I pay five pence extra. What chance do the MoD have if they want planes with theirs and at what cost....10 pence ...50 pence ......£1 EVEN ?

Fixes: 238

Duplicate post removed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

Looks like the F35 saga is still continuing   Sad   and could be years before its ready so looks likely the Navy will have aircraft carriers with no planes

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/01/it-could-be-years-before-billion-dollar-war-toy-f-3...

David Camoron should be tried for treason against her majesty. He's destroyed our harrier fleet, sold them off as dog tins to the USA and left us defenceless at sea.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

rongtw are you iching to fly it Tongue

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

It TOOO dangerous Ste

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Despite the "bad press"... I think you will find that the one`s we have just taken delivery of, WILL be flying from the new carriers, when completed... and they WILL be tested most severely, as is the case with all new equipment. which includes new ships...

When a ship is completed, she is not "in commission" until a certain amount of ( for the sake of a better term ) "road testing" of ALL it`s capabilities as accepted by the R.N.  this "assessment" period does two things, it gets the crew to be familiar with the sytems they will be working with,... and it sorts out those snags that have manifested themselves during the "test/assessment/road testing" time.   Those snags, also help to train the technicians, into how to recognise, and solve the problems, when the ship is fully commissioned and possibly in action.

The testing period can be anything from 6 months to a couple of years, and is usually "factored in" when a ship is designed.  

The same kind of assessment and training, will take place with the aircraft, whether they are flying from the carrier(s) or from air bases.

Some good pics and info on here....    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-equipment/aircraft/future-aircraft/f35-joint-strike-fighter

Scroll down the page for the pics... and there is a video of an F35 landing on the USS Wasp  ( click the < next to the pics)

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Is there a limit on how pilots can manage to fly these things? It's not speed I know it's acceleration but the F35 must pack quite a punch I imagine. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Defenseless at sea you say? Cheesy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36960905

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Shutter ,, i see they obviously didnt road test the type 45 destoyers enough Smiley

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

The government were foolish to scrap the Harrier (P1127)

https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/aircraft-month/hawker-p1127-forerunner-of-the-harrier

The viff manoeuvre (vectoring in forward flight) was very impressive and gave the Harrier the edge over chasing combat aircraft. I've seen it a few times in trials.

Using this technique, (Falklands) Harrier pilots chased by Argentine Mirages could slow their jets very rapidly in flight and get behind their attackers in an instant, a decidedly handy manoeuvre in air-to-air combat.

No Harriers were lost in dogfighting during the war.

https://jalopnik.com/5715656/the-eeriness-of-viffing-a-harrier

https://jalopnik.com/5715336/how-to-fly-the-harrier-jump-jet/

Community Veteran

What I personally dislike about the F35 is how complex it's VTOL system is compared to the basics of the harrier. What on earth were they thinking having a bloody great downward fan at the front with a fragile looking cover that has to lift up? - what happens if that cover flat malfunctions and won't open or close in flight? Then there's the tail nozzle!

The harrier had it's 4 tilting nozzles which in comparison are incredibly robust.. and then it's little jetstream outlets for control. Far simpler and far more effective.

In the falklands the mirage fighters on paper were superior - faster, deadlier, better missiles... yet the harrier fleet suffered no losses and the mirages were shot down.

I heard someone say on TV recently that the americans have the guts and the money but the british have the brains. Given that the F35 is an american creation using american brains I'm not very trusting of it if i'm honest - especially after they abandoned the "special relationship" during the falklands. Whats to say the F35s won't have a remote kill code feature the americans can use against us?

We should be using british hardware designed by british brains. I know it's a sin to suggest that these days but it's the bloody truth. We have talent in this country and it seems we'd rather ignore it and see those people flipping burgers than use it to its potential.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

@7up wrote: 

David Camoron should be tried for treason against her majesty. He's destroyed our harrier fleet, sold them off as dog tins to the USA and left us defenceless at sea.

And yet a vast majority still sit mothballed in the desert as spares machines for the Yanks Crazy2.

F35 should never have been purchased in my opinion, but we have no manufacturing base of our own (compared to the years of Vickers, Hawker Siddeley, Blackburn, English Electric, et al), all amalagamated to British Aerospace and then sold off Lips are sealed

I remember working on the Tornado when the F2 had no radar and had to be flown with a block of concrete up front until development was finished. Our Air Force used to have a plethora of different aircraft for different roles, but to put all of your eggs in one basket with the F35 could be a problem. Yes, we had American in the past (Phantom) which was modified for UK use, but we also had the Buccaneer, Lightning, Tornado, Jaguar and of course the Harrier.

I don't suppose we will need air power in the future though, drones will be the way forward.

Mark

Mayfly
Pro

We have never taken the US route of upgrading our a/c for years and years as the Yanks do. Not sure why, cost I guess but would it have been any more expensive than an upgrade or is it we don't have the manufacturing as we once did to achieve it?

I know they sold the Harriers because they were composite and it would have cost much more to scrap them than the loss of selling them off.