19 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: The Easy Target

Don't break the law then there's no problem.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes but what about all the new stealth laws that Labour have been bringing in every year? - Laws which the authorities know about (and how to use them) but we're never made aware of?
Sure, I agree, don't break laws and you've nothing to fear but when the laws aren't even known of and suddenly you find yourself on the wrong side of the law then where is the fairness?
In principle I do agree with the idea. Those who commit crime should be made to contribute towards the victims of it however this looks like nothing more than another piggy bank raider (get it... piggy?  Cheesy). In all seriousness I don't think its fair that the government leaves the motorist open to abuse continually. If they really wanted to stop motorists speeding competely they'd order GPS powered speed limiters to be fitted to all cars which would force cars to obey speed limits in force on every road. No, not our government, they'd rather have speeders out there who they can rinse for cash. Now, what kind of warped twisted logic is that really? - They keep banging on about lives lost etc yet allow people to continue doing it on the sly for their own fund raising. Just like solid white lines. Don't want people to over take on the? - Put a flaming barrier there then! It isn't rocket science is it!
Frankly I don't trust a damn thing that this government does. It's all about money. I remember under the last government the army and RAF would drop food parcels in countries at war. Peace keeping forces would be sent there to try and keep things from getting worse etc. Now theres none of that. It's about pursuing oil and working out the cost effectiveness of each helicopter. Food parcels for the innocent? - Well, they shouldn't of got in the way in the first place  Roll eyes It's terrible. Everything is about money. Then they try to convince US that it isn't and that we're all getting too worked up about money?! What they forget is that the more money they try to forcefully extract from people the greedier and more obsessed people will become about their money. Then community spirit and things starts to break down as everyone starts developing their own agendas.
Am I ranting again?  Shocked
dick:quote
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Yes, you are ranting but rightly so.  I have never known a bunch of thieves like the ones that call themselves the government.  They find more and more ways to put their hands in our pockets.  Fortunately we have an election this year and I hope they will get their comeuppance then. 
Community Veteran

It would be interesting if we could go back 15 to 20 years ago to see what people said then.  Wink 
People always think this about governments - and then conveniently forget it .
But I do agree that drivers they moan too much - and moan if they get caught speeding, driving over the drink-drive limit's, get a parking ticket, caught using a mobile phone, or combing their hair  etc  when they clearly have broken the rules.
"Under the plans, a fine of £60 for speeding, using a mobile phone while driving or not wearing a seatbelt would be increased to £75."
Not bad really - and in a VERY good cause - the victims of crime.
nadger
Rising Star

Overall motorists have always been a good source of revenue as people won't give up their cars.
Never had a point on my licence since I first got provisional in mid 50s so hopefully I won't be contributing to latest government scam.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@okrzynska, yes your ranting
But I agree with you, please continue
One change .
'I’d like to elect our leaders',
When a leader steps down (like Blair, or is dismissed like Thatcher) parliament must be dissolved and an election called.
I want democracy, not this sham.
Community Veteran

I agree that PM's should have a mandate within a reasonable period of time.
But it is of interset to note that in recent times 5 out of 13 PM's have been in office for some time without a mandate
Eden 1957 - 1959
Douglas Home 1963 - 1964
Callaghan 1976- 1979
Major 1990 - 1992
Brown 2007 -
itsme
Grafter

Is it because the UK General election is to elect MP's to represent the local community to Parliament, which is true democracy, and not a president?
It also happen in the USA when presidents resign or die in office the vice-president takes over for the remaining time of the term.
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z

But I do agree that drivers they moan too much - and moan if they get caught speeding, driving over the drink-drive limit's, get a parking ticket, caught using a mobile phone, or combing their hair  etc  when they clearly have broken the rules.
"Under the plans, a fine of £60 for speeding, using a mobile phone while driving or not wearing a seatbelt would be increased to £75."
Not bad really - and in a VERY good cause - the victims of crime.

Yes, drivers should be fined if caught breaking the law but many motoring offences are victimless so why should they have to pay an extra tax - there are no victims?  It's just another money grabbing scheme by a bankrupt government. Perhaps you can tell us how many 'victims' have benefited from the extra tax.
Community Veteran

You ain't seen nothin' yet folks.
Just wait until after the election when whoever wins will have to knuckle down and start to get the debts repaid that the profligate bankers created.
Easy targets, difficult targets, targets you've never dreamed of; it'll all be up for grabs.
David_W
Rising Star

What we really need is another Thatcher.  Yes people still hate her, and that is why we need another one like her.  She made decisions that were so vastly unpopular, but laid a foundation for our economy that meant even Blair/Brown couldn't destroy it, it took the bankers to do that.  If/when Cameron is elected, I hope he doesn't go the popularist route that Blair went down, the happy huggle cuddle rubbish, there are really hard choices that need to be made.  Services need to be cut, thousands of government workers in all sectors need to be made redundant (Labour can't do that, they are in the pockets of the unions).
Oddly though, our economy isn't as bad as people make it out to be, because of Thatcher Labour inherited a very strong economy and our spending to GDP was (and still currently is) the lowest among developed countries, something like 40% of GDP, compare that to Japan who are over 200%, its expected to go over 100% but even then only France will have a lower spending to GDP ratio.  Given time we'll get the spending back down to around 40% whilst other countries will continue to keep a high spending ratio around 100%, except Japan who will probably stick at 200%, but I think Japan gets away with that because they don't have a deficit like the rest of us.
Stealth taxes are bad, being told "we're going to tax you" is good, at least then we can complain about it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If we agree extra taxes public spending cuts are going to be required to get the UK out of this financial mess, no matter who comes to power.
In what direction does anybody think those taxes and cuts will come?
Bit of a competition
Any estimates at what the £ will be worth New Year 2011 (against the $ and the Euro)?
Community Veteran

I don't expect the pound will change much, maybe up a bit if there's a government with a clear mandate (of any variety).
Indirect taxes will go up, but not income tax (much).
VAT has to go to 20% or even 25% for sure.
I'd also expect the ceilings on NI contributions to go up or even be removed.
Community Veteran

The exchange rates won't move much in 2010 IMO.  I think the GBP and the euro will remain around parity but I think the £/$ may see 1.60 but not much more.