cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The EU

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The EU

Some countries in the EU appear to be in a right mess, unemployment has remained high for several years with little prospect of any improvement, The amount of debt that Greece and possibly other countries will never be paid back and there are many issues the EU is unable or unwilling to tackle.

This post is not about Britexit, forget Britexit, just look at the increasing numbers of citizens of these countries who are rejecting the present situation and want control of their own countries, if one major EU country opts out of the euro or the EU that could be the end of the common market and in my opinion it can only be a matter of time before that happens, quite likely within the next 2 years.

Am I wrong ?

13 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: The EU

Great idea that mutated into two post war buddies wanting a supra national state at the expense of the smaller and/or less wealthier ones. Now of course the Franco-German relationship has gone sour...... so yes, goodbye to the EU but more like within five rather than two is my uneducated guess but hey, who cares?

Certainly not me 

Last one to leave the EU please turn out the lights...... if they haven't gone off already.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There was an interesting programme on the ABBC a couple of nights back saying the same thing and interviewing the various "popular" party leaders around the member states. They all had good arguments for dealing with their own countries problems. What was most significant was the reaction of the EU aparachniks who had their fingers firmly n ears going la la la la la Crazy2

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero

Never saw that, but surprised at how only now the pundits are picking up on it as this particular football was being kicked around as far back as ten years ago.

Opportunistic, or just heads up out of the sunshine? Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Their big mistake was not passing an EU law that all EU member states had to use Esperanto as their first language.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman

This refers to the programme

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/765583/bbc-brexit-collapse-european-union-martin-schulz-marine-le-p...

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Minivanman wrote:

Last one to leave the EU please turn out the lights...... if they haven't gone off already.

Funny you should say that ....but in the paper of the moment....  yesterday.... there was a report that Brussels was in darkness... due to a power cut    !! ! ..

Community Veteran

It was probably Greece's turn to pay the leccy bill.

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Great idea that mutated into two post war buddies wanting a supra national state at the expense of the smaller and/or less wealthier ones. Now of course the Franco-German relationship has gone sour...... so yes, goodbye to the EU but more like within five rather than two is my uneducated guess but hey, who cares?

Trouble is it wasn't just that, they wanted the power and wealth of the UK by proxy too and without us their little empire is going to crumble. I do agree with your five year figure though, I reckon thats the maximum it'll last.

To be honest, its a shame. In principle the EU if done properly by non self obsessed politicians then it could work very well but they've become so determined to have their teeth into everything and solve nothing that they've consigned themselves to the history books.

What the hell was that internet cookie policy all about? How many people really worried about it? - Sure 15 years ago it was a big scary sensational story but these days nobody cares about cookies. But how much did they spend on all that? - How many homeless people gained a roof over their heads for it?

They've been inventing imaginary problems to solve and squander UK money on for years and they've finally realised that they've gone too far... when its too late.

The only option now is for them to voluntarily become part of the United States of England and live under our leadership. Oh.. they won't do that though will they because they'd have to have a taste of their own medicine.. but in reality thats the only way to solve this EU thing going completely down the pan and taking us back to the cold war days.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

PeterLoftus wrote:

There was an interesting programme on the ABBC a couple of nights back saying the same thing and interviewing the various "popular" party leaders around the member states. They all had good arguments for dealing with their own countries problems. What was most significant was the reaction of the EU aparachniks who had their fingers firmly n ears going la la la la la Crazy2

I saw that program and that's what prompted me to raise it on the forum, I do not agree with much Trump says but listening to comments made by some leaders interviewed they were clearly racist yet the thing I find odd is that there are not large crowds out on the streets protesting about these things.

Some of the things taking place on the Hungarian border led by a local town mayor which included a beating of illegal immigrants if caught has to be worse than anything Trump has done ?

Community Veteran

@gleneagles I think the element which concerns me most is the democratic deficit in the EU. the demagogues are getting the attention because of years of the bureaucracy in Brussels (and similar from the Democrats in the US) telling the people that it's too complicated for plebs like you to understand and leave it to us!  Well it wasn't and the plebs arn't getting what they want and they are thinking the unthinkable!

I don't think the EU structure is able to change and respond so it's going to fall apart!

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Esperanto?  Interesting idea but which version?  As I understand it Esperanto - not being a natural language - has no fixed syntax so should we say for example "red flag" or "flag red" in EU Esperanto, and quite a few expressions don't exist (or are very different) in some languages e.g. "it's not my cup of tea" or "that's another kettle of fish" might be quite meaningless if translated literally.

EU institutions are located in several different countries and I've always thought that the natural home for the European Central Bank would have been London, and English should be the official language of the EU.  The French would never agree to French not being an official language, and since we (thankfully) didn't join the Euro, the ECB remains firmly on the Continent.

What I would like to know is: Where has all the money gone?  If the accountants can't find it, there must be something fishy going on.  (Try translating the last four words of that sentence into the other EU languages.)

figgley
Grafter

Here's the link to the full broadcast. Well worth a watch if your connection and politics will allow you:

Community Veteran

Jonpe wrote:

What I would like to know is: Where has all the money gone?  If the accountants can't find it, there must be something fishy going on.  (Try translating the last four words of that sentence into the other EU languages.)

I bet a few people would like to know where it has gone as well.

Considering the size of Luxenburg and what it produces it's done very well out of the EU.

I suspect a lot has gone on fraud and dodgy accounting, annoying when you think of how that money ( our money) could have been used in a more useful way.

Hopefully the gravy train will soon hit the buffers.