Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The E in Sausage could kill you..

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

The E in Sausage could kill you..

Could as many as one in 10 pork sausages be carrying a deadly hepatitis E virus?
The virus usually causes only relatively mild symptoms such as sickness, a temperature and muscle pain, which clear up by themselves within a month.
But it can be fatal for the elderly, cancer victims, pregnant women and others with existing liver problems.
All pork products including joints and sausages should be cooked ‘until steaming hot’ throughout.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2421133/Could-10-pork-sausages-carrying-deadly-hepatitis-E...
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The E in Sausage could kill you..

For me, sausages have to be a nice even black colour all round then go into the oven for another hour to be on the safe side .....
Fixes: 123

It wasn't that long ago we were all going to die from mad cow disease then salmonella from eggs.
The way I see there will always be something that someone, somewhere decides will be bad for us.
Haven't eaten sausages that have been brownish after cooking for around 50 years I'm not going to start worrying now.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've tried various ways of cooking sausages on the odd occasion I have them
For me, the best method is on a small roasting dish with raised grill mesh in the oven for around 30 minutes.
Cooked all round, through and even.
Fixes: 123

I still preferred mine fried turning over three times so you get 4 dark brown stripes against 4 lighter brown ones. Don't like burnt sausages (or any burnt food).
Then again, I still like a slice of bread dipped in the fat left in the frying pan Yum Yum Smiley (but very infrequently these days)

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I tend to deep fry my sausages these days, I could never get an even colour on them in the frying pan at all. Just bung them in the firer with the chips for about 6 min, cooked through and nice and hot.
Glenn
Grafter

I only eat beef sausages and I fry my sausages in the deep frier as well for around 6 mins...works a treat.  Smiley
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Ah yes, had a feeling that would be a Daily Mail article.  Roll eyes
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team