cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Doctor will not see you now...

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Doctor will not see you now...

NHS launches revolutionary plan to cut GP waiting times by using 22,000 pharmacists, paramedics and physios to treat patients for minor conditions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6650791/NHS-launches-revolutionary-plan-cut-GP-waiting-time...

With the best will in the world.......... NO WAY..

There can be underlying symptoms only a 7+ years trained Doctor may spot.

Including mental health issues

My excellent Pharmacy, with it's award winning Pharmacist, is always busy, and provides excellent service at all times, no time for these add ons.

And I can usually get a Doctors appointment, at two days notice, with my Doctor I have known for 15 years, backed up with all my medical history.

They have an excellent online presence, appointments, order medication, test results etc.

With my personal confidential NHS medical history going back many decades.

It is a large professional competent practise with many ancillary services to take the pressure off the doctors, and have referred me more than once to an immediate (within hours) consultation with one of several excellent Hospital consultants.

Do it on the cheap, not recommended.

3 REPLIES 3
idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: The Doctor will not see you now...

I don't know. I don't really see anything revolutionary as it is much as my GP surgery operates already. While I can usually get a doctor's appointment on the same day, all appointments are pre-screened by a doctor (they phone back) before I get one. If he/she decides the practice nurse(s) is fine for me to see, then that is who I get seen by. And while there, I have known the nurse to ask a doctor to come see if they decide it is beyond their remit. As my GP explained there is only so much they can do in the surgery anyway. If I require extensive investigations the hospital is the place for me to go.

The people I feel sorry for though, is those like my work colleague, who struggle to get an appointment at all, 1 - 2 weeks waiting. But even there, there is a very easy route. Phone 111. I was in exactly that predicament a month a go. 6.30 in the morning and in intense pain. Had a call made - recommended I attend A&E. By 8.30am I'd had a CT scan, been seen by a doctor and had an appointment for 10am in one of the clinics for further tests. Another appointment followed at 1.30pm to see a consultant. Can't really complain at all.

And my work colleague ended up going the same route not long afterwards. One thing I never knew until said work colleague went in, was that the hospitals seem to be doing out-patients tests / examinations on a Saturday / Sunday as routine work.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@idonno wrote:

But even there, there is a very easy route. Phone 111. I was in exactly that predicament a month a go. 6.30 in the morning and in intense pain. Had a call made - recommended I attend A&E. By 8.30am I'd had a CT scan, been seen by a doctor and had an appointment for 10am in one of the clinics for further tests. Another appointment followed at 1.30pm to see a consultant. Can't really complain at all.

hospitals seem to be doing out-patients tests / examinations on a Saturday / Sunday as routine work.

I recently had reason to ring 111 one weekend.

I was referred to an out-of hours Doctor, at a local Health facility, who I saw 30 minutes later !

And...

My last two MRI scans have been done at the weekend, at a mobile unit parked up at Bell Vue, Manchester.

Loads of free parking, only 5 cars parked.

Only one person waiting.

Specifically arranged by my GP.

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 03.46.53 copy.jpg

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Pharmacists are great for problems you suspect might be medication-related, and I can think of a recent problem I'd have gone to a physiotherapist for had one been available.