Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Death of the Dish

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The Death of the Dish

Now we are all streaming online via wifi (or as best we can if we are a plusnet customer Wink) - is the ubiquitous satellite dish finally dead, or at least dying?  Just a thought.

15826588_1237618819636817_2505956441245779213_n.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: The Death of the Dish

Given that a large part of the "dish" base doesn't have internet, not yet.
Mind you I don't have sattv (other than in the caravan via freesat) and also don't stream my content from the net either. (I also have limited wifi in the house, my phone & tablet, Mrs HB's tablet is it)
Minivanman
Hero

I think you'll find most of the 'dish base' does have the internet, or at least access via their telephone line as one the conditions of having that free Sky digibox for example, was that it had to be connected to a telephone line.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/householdcharacteristics/homeinternetandsocialme...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Just 'cause there is a dish out side the property doesn't mean they have sky.
The phone connection is/was for the pay view from what I remember, never having had sky digital (if you discount a BSB squarial for a while)
Minivanman
Hero

Well yes, we have a dish outside that's not used anymore. And again yes for the pay view which was not always used either but, it was conditional that the house had to have a working phone line connected even if it was never used in order to qualify for that free digibox. I've lost count of the number of installations I'd been unable to complete because a) the customer did not have a telephone line b) it was not working or c) if it was, they refused to have it connected - and Sky was able to check that it was and working.

All done of course in order to tempt the customer to use pay view - a bit like having a tin of chocolates with the lid off Wink

Fixes: 47

I installed a dish myself and purchased a satellite receiver which receives Freesat and a whole lot more.

I have a motorised mount to fit when I get round to it which will give me access to more satellites and media.

I have never had and will never have Sky while ever possible.

My daughter mostly watches Freesat via a receiver and ex-Sky dish which was on the wall when they moved into the property.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

Those motorised mounts really are something because as you know @Strat there are literally loads of satellites you can pick up television signals encrypted or otherwise from but even those are being knocked into a cocked hat over the past year or so by what you can receive on line are the not?

Add to that you are also limited to line of sight other than from those that bounce signals off each other.

Maybe room for both at the moment domestically, but down the line....... Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Like Strat, I installed my own Sky dish, purchased and installed my own digiboxes up to and including the current Sky+HD box. I did though have a Sky tech to line up the signal. I do have a line-up receiver device, but the tech certainly did a better job of it than I did, which may have had something to do with him having a longer ladder than the one I was struggling with to reach the dish for fine movements.

Sky continually call me offering me an extended service contract, but lose interest when I point out the equipment belongs to me not Sky. More so when I explain if I have any trouble with the digibox I will throw it away and buy another - but not from Sky -.

Apart from initial setup, the telephone socket has been disconnected for the last three years, likewise the previous boxes.

PS. Apart from the first ever digibox (supplied by Sky) all the others have been purchased through Amazon and have been reconditioned, so far without any problems.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

To be honest it would be good to see the demise of the satellite dish provided that those that owned them actually took them down from their property. I’ve seen some residential streets in my time that look like a support network for Jodrell Bank!

Also like @Strat I would never, ever line the pockets of RM, assuming that is his reasoning.

Minivanman
Hero

Lining those dishes up was a bit like throwing darts.

You can hit the board with one of those 'beeper meters' but to get a bulls eye and have the LNB orientated correctly (those satellites and thus the signal are at a slight angle) you need decent equipment to be honest and something that costs in the region of a hundred smackers - or at least they used to. Slightly off as many of those self installed ones are and the signal will drop in bad weather. I seem to recall the Astra satellite at a power output of around 60w.

For a few years I used to install dishes all around France and unlike here in the UK where a Sky engineer might have 'patch' radius of say fifty miles, I was looking at a round trip of five hundred miles if the dish I had installed was not secure and spot on and I had to go back and sort it out. But to get back to the original point, even fifteen years ago it seemed obvious to me that dishes would one day become obsolete and that those ex-pats would in the near future be able to get their television and radio programs down the telephone line. That's what I used to tell them anyway.  

Anyways, sure you can close your eyes and hit that bull, but what are the chances of that? Smiley 

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

I think you'll find most of the 'dish base' does have the internet, or at least access via their telephone line as one the conditions of having that free Sky digibox for example, was that it had to be connected to a telephone line.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/householdcharacteristics/homeinternetandsocialme...

A telephone line hasn't been a requirement for years. Current Sky boxes don't even have a phone connection.

Minivanman
Hero

Well times change, and it's been years since I last worked for them Davey.... glad to say. They were a terrible outfit akin I'd imagine to working for Sports Direct, Amazon, or being a multi-drop white van man! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm part of another forum that is obsessed with satellite reception, and I can say, the dish ain't dead yet, it'll get you TV from around the world, from TV shows & movies, to sports events and other countries' news, I haven't done much with it myself in the past few years, but have channel hopped the satellites over the years... Smiley

Only ever had sky for a year though, terrible value for money!!

Minivanman
Hero

Well yes, but by 'around the world' you mean only those broadcasting to the northern hemisphere. It irritates the heck out of my little brother down in Kiwi land that he cannot get more than he does.

Homesick for some decent television free from those satellites? Suck it up I tell him! Wink   

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

By around the world, I mean around the world, there's plenty of feed satellites out there that relay stuff from t'other side of the marble (usually live TV or reports from OBUs which can't get a decent internet feed to their location), they're a bit trickier to get as some use slightly different standards than the average satellite receiver (and no, a sky box is not an average satellite receiver, they're the lobotomised, stupified and crapified hardware of the satellite world), but, they're out there... Smiley