Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Cost of Galvanising

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

The Cost of Galvanising

We have had our (St George and the Dragon) weather vane taken down for a much needed ten year makeover, and not getting any younger decided to get a quote for getting it galvanised rather than painting it ever again.

Checked out the nearest company I could find to do the job which turned out to be fifty miles or so away and sent for their catalogue. So great, they can do "even the smallest of jobs" -  no doubt aimed at metal working artisans "from as little as one pound". Not expecting it that cheap of course and guessing at around fifty quid, sent them a photograph and back came the quote.

£160 plus Vat, plus £60 collection and delivery. Err, no thanks!

These guys are in the area most weeks picking up stuff in the west Wales area and certainly from a local Ironmongery. Anyways, it's now been sanded, red oxide primed, and three top coats of oil based metal paint.

Total cost £18... plus a tenner for a neigbour with a roof ladder. Thumbs_Up

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Cost of Galvanising

I guess after seeing that price you were the opposite of what you wanted doing. Grin

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

"from as little as one pound"

Probably for a 2ba nut.Smiley

Pick up / delivery is a bit of a sore point. My local timber merchants used to have free delivery as like yours their loaded truck was everywhere most of the time. Now it's £15 unless you spend x amount. It just meant I got out my roof rack. A good thing is at least I can pick out straight bits.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well the weird thing was when I asked why it was such a high price, they said they had a "minimum pricing structure" so I guess even a washer would have been something daft.

All just gobbledygook of course.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Minivanman  And , of course, You are really chuffed with the job.... knowing it has been done to your standards, and is likely to outlast you.... Ahem!.. ! !   Shocked