Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Cost of Cute

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The Cost of Cute

Smuggling puppies sick or otherwise is a disgusting trade but y'know what, if people did not buy these 'designer dogs' then like so much else, these dog selling scum bags would not be in business. But no, folks still want cute, often a pair, and at almost any price.

With so many homeless and booted out, paying several hundred smackers for any dogs such as these is just plain crazy in my book. Watched a 'stuck up noses in the air couple' in out local park yesterday - he Mr pseudo Hardman with his pair of matching Alsatians, she Miss Muppet with what looked like two Miniature Schnauzers.

Lets share the blame, and lets share some common sense.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/puppy-smuggling-investigation-dogs-trust_uk_596c9fbce4b0174186...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: The Cost of Cute

I have only paid for one puppy in my life, 11 years on he is still here, all be it with the common issues with his breed.
I only bought him after loosing my old dog 18 months before (a rescue dog), and the farm we were regular visitors to, was having pups. So I knew the "breeder" and the mother the money came as a shock as it had never been mentioned until we collected the pup, £450! We found we missed having a dog about which was why we bought him. Now I would not pay that money as I don't have it, but would go back to a rescued dog.
Unless I know the history of the pup I wouldn't touch it. There is just too much breeding for cash done now. Pups with defects, or that don't have proper vaccinations done, etc etc etc
Fixes: 125

I bought my ex-wife a thoroughbred Dalmation in 2002 (£400) as she had always wanted one. It was a lovely dog but finally had to be put down a couple of months ago due to failing kidneys. Never bought one before and never will again, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

Other than a couple of dog home mongrels we've only had three pedigree dogs.

One was an Airedale from a dogs home, and two were Westies - one taken in when the wife's Mam passed away and the other from an Aunt when she decided to emigrate. The Airedale was a cracking dog and we had her for a good while but unfortunately, both Westies had to be put down in time because of congenital conditions.    

PS. Forgot, we also had a little Yorkie given to us as she was the runt of a litter. Seemingly the size of big mouse, the poor thing would always hide shivering behind our settee, never barked for the first couple of years and sorry to say, always pooping the runny stuff.

So pedigree dogs? Thanks but no thanks and certainly not at those prices...... and certainly not from those sort of people.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just as bad as the underground dog fighting. These are a mans best friend yet this is how some men treat them? utterly shameful and disgust me to the absolute core!!

Fixes: 47

I have a cat...not my choice.

I have had 2 Budgies...not my choice.

I have had four fish...not my choice

I have had two dogs at different times....not my choice.

I have had a snake...my choice.

When my cat passes on to the bottom of my garden with some of the other 'pets' I shall have no more.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I always fancied a snake or a lizard, what type of snake was it @Strat ?

It was only a Grass snake @Steve and I was 11 or 12 at the time.

My son has a Corn snake and it's fascinating to watch it eat.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I bet!! dos that corn snake eat live or dead? I always fancied a reptile friend but never looked into what is required from me yet and I certainly won't buy either unless I know how to care for them properly.

Minivanman
Hero

@Strat

Does it eat Yorkshire Terriers? Wink 

It's fed a dead Rat occasionally. It would probably love a live one but his wife wouldn't appreciate the food that escaped.

@Minivanman they have a dog also which I think is something like a Labradoodle...I'm not up on such things.

I don't think it's mouth would open that wide but would give it a go.