Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Cool Gadgets Thread!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The Cool Gadgets Thread!

You know how i love techy stuff  Cheesy
So here we go.. I'm starting a cool gadgets thread for anything super cool anyone has, finds, buys, wants etc  Smiley
Today my find was on ebay.. It's a micro mobile phone shaped like a bluetooth ear piece. It's a full phone.. but also allows you to connect it to another phone by bluetooth! Handy if your smartphone gets pinched!:

(and yes, despite my anti EM radiation thing, I still think it's utterly cool and clever!  Crazy)

These are cool too - useless at swiping the accept call icon like me? - This is utterly cool (as long as you're near it!):

So guys.. come on, get posting Wink (no iphones lol)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: The Cool Gadgets Thread!

Quote from: 7up
These are cool too

I prefer the real thing... Grin
Community Veteran

Is that VOIP or something or just a normal phone?
Community Veteran

Normal, Western Electric 500 telephone built in 1956... Grin
I do have a Linksys PAP2T VOIP adaptor I can use it with, but as I hate actually using phones, it's rarely connected to anything other than my Panasonic KX-T61610BE phone system.... Grin
David_W
Rising Star

I love my cool gadgets, sadly most end up never used but I've just purchased:

Keyboard with a flashy LCD monitor type thing on it, small but able to watch YT vids on it, or create apps to run on it when you're playing a game.
Not as cool as:

That one has some touch screen gubbins on the right hand side, and a display if I'm reading it right.... does cost around £260 though
Neither however have mechanical keys, after buying the G19s I decided I wanted mechanical keys, I have a G15 and don't really get much use out of the LCD display on that so went looking around for mechanical keyboards.

Yep that is a crazy, crazy keyboard, with a price to match (£250), but in the end I wanted something that looked, well, like a keyboard

Mind you, I did see a James May video with a cheese grater which I thought was awesome, put the cheese in, turn a wheel and it grates the cheese for you, but not as cool as a keyboard is right now.  As for the G19s, I asked Logitech to cancel, they said okay, and sent it out so I have to send it back when it arrives (or put it on ebay at a profit...........)
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the g19 is a decent keyboard (ive had one for about 5 years) but I only ever use the lcd for the clock or performance monitor.
the coolest gadget I can think of though is probably the Leatherman Wave http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=leatherman+wave&FORM=HDRSC2 strictly low tech though but extremely versatile and mines lasted me about a decade before I replaced it with a new one  after it suffered an accident courtesy of a well meaning child and a bench grinder .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Community Veteran

On the subject of keyboards, the rii mini RF keyboard is one very cool gizmo:
Community Veteran

I'm a techie and my life is a history of "must have" gadgets that lasted no time at all and were of no benefit whatsoever.
I've tried and failed to think of anything out of the ordinary that made a real difference.  Sad
On the other hand we were "early adopters" of many things that have become commonplace and near-essential.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4G-Wireless-Mini-Fly-Air-Keyboard-Mouse-Touchpad-For-Laptop-Xbox-PC-PS3-...
I got this on an eBay auction. Miniature keyboard with a USB dongle, just right for my rasberrypi, and smart tellies. You know what a pain it is selecting letters to input a search on YouTube. Not any more!
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The coolest gadget I've got is......

a

FAN !
Wink Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Based on that logic, mine would be a freezer!
Community Veteran

Back in 1985 a couple of companies offered telephones without wires that you could use in your car or out in the streets (initially mainly restricted to cities and larger towns), these had a neat little rechargeable battery pack and only weighed a couple of kg.  Obviously these would only be of interest to top business executives and the very rich.....
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I got this on an eBay auction. Miniature keyboard with a USB dongle, just right for my rasberrypi, and smart tellies. You know what a pain it is selecting letters to input a search on YouTube. Not any more!

Thats the same as the rii mini keyboard but they rearranged the positions. I could never get the rii to work with the pi despite many others online apparently just using it as plug n play. Tried loads of times and gave up eventually.. it was easier just to setup x11vnc (so you get to the real active desktop instead of a session) and then use it remotely from another computer.
I shall use the rii for a car pc instead when i can get that done..
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mook
Based on that logic, mine would be a freezer!

It may be full of cold air, but is it a cool freezer? Cool