Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Concorde Disaster

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The Concorde Disaster

Channel 5 tonight at 19:00

Its a repeat...but may be you missed it first time around.....

most of the wreckage was consumed by the fire... 113 people died.... three pieces of wreckage were used in the investigation .

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The Concorde Disaster

I'll have to give that a watch.

The only thing I don't remember is what action, if any, was taken against the airport.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Saw that the first time around and well worth watching again so thanks for the heads up. 

Have memories of doing some work on Heathrow's Terminal Two in the early 70s I think it was, and from up on the roof seeing this magnificent creature coming into land there for the first time.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Back in 76/77 I worked on the audit of a company in Staines. Their staff canteen was situated in line with the runway, and around 1pm every lunchtime all chatter stopped as a faint rumbling noise began to build up. All heads turned towards the windows as the rumbling became a deafening roar and Concorde swept up low overhead. Spectacular

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Concorde used to come in at 6 pm. and 10 pm. for a long time, and was usually on time.

I saw one that had just taken off on the last day it flew in passenger service, it may even have been the very last one.  I wish they'd allowed Branson to take it over; a Concorde flight was the only extravagance on my post-lottery-win list.  (I'm still waiting for that win.)

@Minivanman As you probably know the old T2 is no more and has been replaced with a smaller version of T5 called Terminal 2 The Queen's Terminal.

Community Veteran

For  "1960`s Technology"... it did 27 years in actual service... so it had a good run for its money!..  ( warships are designed for that sort of period too !)..

Branson could not have made it stay in the air any longer.... as both manufacturers of the plane, and it bits and pieces , decided that they no longer would support and service its requirements...

Community Veteran

Some very interesting physical and technical problems are discussed in this article..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde 

It was found that during a long flight concorde cabin section stretched by about 1 foot... ! ! . due to heating of the outer surfaces at supersonic flight.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't think Branson with his track record would bid for something loss-making.

I knew it stretched a fair bit but didn't realise it was as much as a foot.  It couldn't have the navy 'underbelly' of the rest of the BA fleet at the time as it would make it overheat, hence the fuselage was nearly all white (reflecting heat).

They stripped at least one down at some anniversary (10, 15, or 20 years) and the only thing that needed to be replaced was a towel holder in a toilet.

The best of British engineering built to last.  I'm surprised someone like Boeing haven't tried to introduce an up-to-date model, surely it would be easier with today's technology.  I'm not sure whether one needs to get to New York in three hours rather than five, but if they could get a supersonic passenger jet to get us from London to Australia or New Zealand, perhaps in two stages, at affordable prices then they might be on to something.