cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Budget

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The Budget

It's Budget Day tomorrow. What is Phillip Hammond going to produce for us?

Rumours say he's going to commit the road tax take to the roads which hasn't been done before.

Spending on social care is rumoured to get a £1B boost.

Spending on the armed forces and help with business rates are also mentioned as being addressed.

With limited room for manoeuvre what else can Hammond do?

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: The Budget

1. Scrap HS2 and slowly dribble the £56bn into the economy and infrastructure.

2. Free beer for the workers! 😁👍

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

One thing he won't do:  Reduce duty on dielsel in order to make us all buy diesel cars!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

That's what the Congestion Tax is for - to make money (of course), and of course we have the Low Emission Zone, and Ultra Low Emission zone (I am so excited). That's if you live in a London borough (which I do).

You don't exactly need to possess a Business Studies degree to realise: It has nothing to do with reducing congestion, does the square of nothing other than pushing the living costs up in London. After all how do you think goods arrive in shops? Not exactly by carrier pigeon - so what happens when the lorries have to pay the tax? The price of goods go up to compensate even if you don't drive of course.

Also the Low Emission Zones, as opposed to making us breathe better and live longer and happier lives, are designed to get older cars off the road. Well they last longer, and it helps car dealers with business. Plus the 20% VAT which goes to the government.

All that will happen is cigarettes will go up, alcohol and petrol (but that's pretty much a given). Hope they don't touch VAT and will see if they change the levels of income tax.

Sorry for the rant, I might not have the time tomorrow to watch it, but I will try.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The tax burden is a problem no party seems to tackle except perhaps fuel duty which was imposed by Labour but frozen by Conservatives.

With the ever aging population I see no way taxes will be dramatically cut. Care for the elderly is a cost no party really wants to talk about.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

I think he has already confirmed he will reduce business tax and may even announce measues to get more tax from firms such as Amazon etc.

More money for road repairs.

Likely more money for the introduction of universal credit.

Note he covers himself by saying these things may have to take a back seat if additional money is required following Britexit.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

Note he covers himself by saying these things may have to take a back seat if additional money is required following Britexit.

I thought he had said if there was no deal....as this budget would have in mind what has already been agreed.

Note how the Prime Minister talks of the reduction of debt as a share of the economy rather than reducing debt.

He'd be an idiot to state all the money raised from road tax will be spent on roads.

As with the announced £20bn for the NHS it's all smoke and mirrors, which is based on the NHS making savings over the years...but the government now talk as if that £20bn is guaranteed.

What annoys me is when the government thanks the public for sacrifices they have made to help the country, as if the public have a choice in the matter.  

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

and here's the most important item from Sky News . Really puts tax allowances in their place! ;D.

:: A new mandatory business rates relief for all public lavatories "so that local authorities can, at last, relieve themselves."
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Just to show we are all in this together...

MPs on £77,000 will be £860 better off, while their constituents on an average salary of £27,000 will pay £130 less income tax.

Treasury Minister Liz Truss but in another comic turn when interviewed by Andrew Neil this afternoon, asked why the current deficit was to increase next year, she was initially reduced to silence then made up some unconnected convoluted answer, Andrew Neil could not contain his laughter.

Later when asked if the proposed cuts to social welfare will still go ahead she gave another around the houses non answer. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

What a pity you are always so negative in every post you make. I can't remember you ever making a positive comment.

There were some good points in the budget There has been rates relief, support for mental health, social care, roads, fuel tax freeze to name a few.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Wasn't too had.

Though another tax has been introduced (they're a surprise from the government) on "digital services".

Errrrm .. are the companies going to pay for it, or just put up prices for the end user?

Answers on a postcard please.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@artmo wrote:

What a pity you are always so negative in every post you make.

What is negative about stating a person on an average salary will pay £130 less in income tax whilst a MP will be £860 better off, due to the changes in the personal allowance?

On Mental Health, that's a NHS England initiative as part of its new 10 year plan. Locally a separate 24 hour A&E for patients with mental health issues was closed and were told to attend the A&E at the general hospital. The result increased disruption, more security a worse service for those with mental health resulting in more deaths.

Are the mental health ambulances the equivalent of replacing a fully functional library with a mobile library?

Recall when the £20bn for the NHS was announced it was not funded and did not include the additional services announced today. We've been here before when the NHS was given an extra £8bn to meet its commitments, but it was given additional responsibilities costing the NHS £4bn.

I mentioned earlier smoke and mirrors, no chancellor says they are going to cut spending to increase waiting times, or provide a poorer service....they will present it as efficiencies and savings.

Fact the current government is increasing the spend on the NHS by 3.4% which is below the amount required to improve the NHS. Since 1945 the average increase for the NHS has been 3.7%, under the previous Labour government it averaged 6.1%. 

And finally both the BBC & Sky have pointed out the government can say they are increasing public spending but apart from the NHS other departments face level funding or cuts.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

As someone once said (can't quite remember who Cheesy) "There's no such thing as a free lunch". 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Interesting to note that John McDonnell has today said that a Labour Government would not oppose the tax cuts introduced in yesterday's budget, and yet they also want to spend much more on elements of the economy. Maybe money does grow on trees?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Typical Labour move. Borrow money to fund their plans, bankrupt the country again and get the Tories to sort it out.