cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Box - BBC

Community Veteran

The Box - BBC

An interesting item on BBC TV last night.  They have got a container in their livery and for a year they are tracking its movements around the world via GPS.  It can be tracked on line at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/thebox
Should be an interesting project.
6 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: The Box - BBC

They've actually been tracking it for several months - I seem to recall it being in the Far East a while back.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

They have got a container in their livery and for a year they are tracking its movements around the world via GPS.  

and as usual, we, the licence fee payers, are paying for someone to sit in an office and watch a tin box go around the world, and then make up some kind of "interesting story" for a documentary about how containers go round the world on their own "gap year" holiday !!!  Embarrassed
how sad is that  Cry Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
They've actually been tracking it for several months - I seem to recall it being in the Far East a while back.

Yes, you're right.  Currently it's going overland in the US.
Community Veteran

Oh Gerry - oh so cynical  Huh
It's a project on how commodities are moving around the world, which gives an indication of what the economy is like in different parts of the world.
True, the economy is screwed in 99% of the developed and civilised world, but I think it will make an interesting project with very real information, unlike some of the guff that gets fed to us by the current government.
Anyway, back on topic, I think it will make interesting reading once the year's project is up.
Oh.. by the way, it's not costing the BBC a dime other than a bit of editorial work and cost of keeping the GPS unit going.
[quote="BBC News"]
Free ride
Surprisingly, this project will not be costing the BBC much over and above the coverage costs for the editorial content.
Whilst we have paid a little for the branding of the box and some technical costs the fact this is a working container means it will be earning its own keep

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

YES ! I am cynical..... The box can be tracked using it`s own personal identity number which did not cost us, the licence payers ANY money....the previous post explains that the BBC logo (or whatever) " we paid a LITTLE for the branding".... o.k. you guys.... let`s have some reasonable "estimates" from you wise ones    "How LITTLE did the branding cost?"  I reckon between £500 and £1,000 ....... which is "a little" compared to the millions of pounds they have available to spend, on loud mouthed self opinionated big headed so called presenters..... (you know who I mean) wages.  which again comes out of MY licence fee and YOURS TOO..... and YES, if you break down the cost of £1,000 between ALL the licence fee payers, it is a LITTLE..... but my point is..... there was absolutely no reason to repaint a tin box to watch it`s progress on GPS. and to make some sort of programme out of it.... If they can`t produce better programmes than watching a box on a box then they should go back to media school, and learn how to do the job they are getting paid for ..... properly...
techguy
Grafter

I wonder how much their internet empire costs us http://support.bbc.co.uk/support/network/
And have you seen this http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/23/iplayer_rose_isps/
They also engage in commercial activity by selling stuff abroad and selling stuff back to us on DVD so we pay twice
Time to scrap the licence and make the gravy train that is the Beeb fund itself.
I'm fed up of hearing about Strictly Come Dancing.