Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Blame Game

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The Blame Game

Yet again the consumer gets blamed for - well, for being a consumer.

It's not enough to get it in the neck for using those plastic bags, fined for driving cars over 30 that can easily do a 100, and condemned for buying clothes that have been made using cheap labour in Bangladesh. Now we are being made to feel guilty for shopping on line and being the cause of low paid and overworked courier drivers!

What the heck is going on and whatever next?

Perhaps we'll get blamed for using stuff made in China....such as our Plusnet hubs Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: The Blame Game

@Minivanman

Stuff made in China ?

These days it hard to find stuff that has not been made in china or contains parts that are made in china.

It annoys me when firms sell out or get taken over by other companies but retain the name of the original company, how many times do we hear of someone buying the same brand of goods based on the previous satisfaction of those goods only to find what they have got is a inferior product made from cheaper materials.

sorry for going off topic.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I see it more like this:

"Oh woe is me!!! I have a job with a guaranteed income as the courier industry is booming, and I sit around driving most of the day from house to house, but it's such hard work knocking on a door with a box and a scanner in hand, I can't be dealing with such hard work, I'm so depressed that I have a job where I get to be out and about all day seeing the country!!"

Of course, there's always people desperate for work who can't get a job, and who would quite happily undercut these complainers just to be able to feed themselves in a week, it's so sad to think that there are people out there who are bemoaning having a reasonable income all the while there are those of us who barely have an income and would welcome the amounts of money they're whining about...

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman Its tricky, this economics business as we all want good value for money and we don't like paying more than anyone else (unless we really need it in one hour from Amazon!).

As @twocvbloke says, its market forces and there is always someone, that will do the job (if only for a short time),

@Gleneagles As for China! The old label "Made in Hong Kong", gave you a clue that quality may not be the world's best? 

I see that even Dyson has to subcontract production as the UK is too expensive.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_(company)#Production_moves_to_Malaysia_.26_Singapore

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Community Veteran

Leapy wrote:I see that even Dyson has to subcontract production as the UK is too expensive.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_(company)#Production_moves_to_Malaysia_.26_Singapore

And yet, there are appliance companies in the UK building their products in the UK, Ebac for example makes washing machines here in Britain, and Cello build decent looking LED televisions in the UK too, and, they're up here in the North East of England, Dyson just wants to profit on his overpriced plastic junk... Smiley

But that aside, I'm often having things delivered by courier myself, so as far as I see it, I'm keeping people in work, from the person picking the parcels up to the people sorting them in a distribution centre, to the driver delivering it to my door, without my and millions of other peoples' custom, they'd probably be sat in the job centre looking for work that wasn't there, swings & roundabouts, take one part away, the other part collapses... Smiley

Still, at least citylink went away, they were the number one worst courier in this country, now replaced by yodel (probably employed ex-citylink drivers!!), if anything of mine I'd ordered was handled by them, you could guarantee they screwed up, and they did, many times!!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Funny isn't it, don't buy stuff from China or else you will be ripped off. But most things are outsourced to China? My washing machine has a stamp on it ' made in Turkey '  I was surprised. Lets make Britain Great again.

Community Veteran

Steve wrote:

Lets make Britain Great again.

Off you go then:

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/range

Grin

Minivanman
Hero

@Steve

Did I read somewhere that the Players factory in Nottingham has now shut up shop and shipped out to Poland as it saved them a fair few bob? Been there a good few years as well think.

Sad times for the workers....... but not for those in Poland obviously. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

JTI tobacco closed up shop in Ballymena, Northern Ireland last year. They blamed tougher European regulations on tobacco products. They're also blaming cigarette counterfeiting for it too. Which is actually a huge problem originating in China. Yunxiao in China garnered the nickname "Marlboro Country" because of the volume of illicit cigarettes coming out of the place. JTI have apparently moved production from Northern Ireland, Belgium and Germany to Poland and Romania. 800 people lost their jobs in Ballymena alone and there's a ghost crew of 60 still operating the premises until it's sold, most likely.

Michelin is also closing a tyre factory in Ballymena next year, blaming the economic down turn for a drop in demand for truck tyres. The factory pumps out a million tyres a year. 10% going to the UK and Ireland and 40% to North America. 900 people will be put out of work. No doubt Michelin will suddenly open a new tyre factory in Eastern Europe or Asia in early 2019.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Minivanman
Hero

Sad

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman Germany too I think. What a sad state of affairs.