cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Big Pit. Wales

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

The Big Pit. Wales

Anyone visiting Wales and interested in Coal mining should visit 'The Big Pit' National coal museum of Wales.

Not only is it free to visit but the guides were ex coal miners so really know what they are talking about, one of many interesting facts was the horses kept down the mines apart from a 2 week break on the surface, if a horse died there was a far bigger enquiry than if a miner had died.

3 REPLIES 3
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: The Big Pit. Wales

Visited the place a few years back and it is impressive.

This link has it situated in 'heather-clad moors' of the Brecon Beacons - which it most certainly its not, although still worth a vist as you say @gleneagles 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@gleneagles

My old Mum was born just into the last century, and when she got beyond 70 she very often used to long for things to be like they used to be "in the olden days". Yes, like having to hew coal on your hands and knees to live because there was nothing else available, and horses being held in higher esteem than men, as your example says. She couldn't accept that things were better 80-odd years into her life than they were back then. I suppose there's a lot of it about! 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Well in her own mind your Mum was right. As the saying goes, "we did no know we were poor until somebody (or in her case time) told me".

We never had much as kids back in the 50s, but I do not recall us ever being miserable about it. Now of course we are all able to see how much we want rather than need and feel so hard done by if we cannot have it.  

"I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiny old house, with great big holes in the roof"  :wink: