cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Big Benefits Debate (C5)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The Big Benefits Debate (C5)

Never fearful of talking about issues that can be controversial, I thought I'd see if anyone else watched this program on C5 tonight and if you did, what did you think of it all?
I thought some interesting points were raised by both sides but I'm not sure that I was swayed a great deal in either direction. I also didn't think C5 did a very good job either, presumably because they've not done live shows like this before. Perhaps C4 or ITV would have done a better job?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: The Big Benefits Debate (C5)

As expected some of those involved made personal attacks on others who did not agree with them. From my point of view once you start doing this then you have lost the argument.
Your point of view will depend on your own personal circumstances so if you have been in a well paid job most of your life you may consider those who have been out of work lazy and idle but equally if you are the one out of work for years and cannot find suitable employment you are likely to be angered by those who call you lazy but use accountants to reduce their tax bills using various legal loopholes.
One of the few sensible statements made in the whole debate was few people are going to take a job that causes them to be financially worse off than if they were in work. Some argue this means benefits are too high others would say wages are too low............take your pick.
What bugs me is that a large part of the benefit bill is due to the state pension and some of these programs and newspaper reports make it sound like it's the fault of pensioners that the benefits budget is so big and due to get a lot bigger due to the large increase in pensioners in future years combined with retired people living much longer than in the past. It's quickly forgotten that most pensioners had to contribute towards the state pension which is lower than most other EU Countries.
Community Veteran

I watched the programme and couldn't believe the poor standard of it. Matthew Wright was a poor presenter and the guests and audience seemed very biased towards benefit people with no balance. A waste of an hour.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Fully agree with you a total of one hour of my life wasted.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

As much as I like him on the Wright Stuff, I must agree artmo that I don't think he did a good job on the show last night.
Having worked and done jobs that earnt me less than the NMW and what many get on benefits I could easily see both sides of the arguement. Katie Hopkins was correct in trying to defend the workers of the country but she also doesn't understand what it's like not to be able to work. Nobody likes being useless.
I was intrigued to see Annabel Giles on it though who has gone from almost a daily TV celebrity to struggling on benefits.. with Hopkins slating her for it! Nobody wants to be poor or helpless yet many are forced into this state and then blamed for it.
I do have good news though, C4 is going to have a similar show when Benefits Street comes to an end. C4 usually do a far better job of this TV format so that will certainly be interesting.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!