cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Bible

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The Bible

SWMBO has been watching this series on the Bible and whilst I have not been paying it too much attention it just seems packed with violence, either some group killing or punishing some other group or being punished themselves in various ways for not doing as they are told. (at least there is no vulgar language) but there is adultery and a few other 'sins'.
Can't admit to ever having read the Bible from end to end but the old testament certainly seems very violent
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The Bible

Much of humanitys past is full of violence.
Prince Charles has roots going back to VLad the Impaler in Romania in the early centuries. Most of the royals have a rather dirty past that put them in their position of power, not many will admit to it but thats how they got there and no doubt they're more than happy with being in their current positions for all the lives that were lost.
To be honest I think as a race we're a bit screwed in the head. We're quick to jump to conclusions about others based on little to no understanding of their situation, trigger happy and always looking for newer more effective ways of killing people (Nukes, drones, missiles, subs etc).
Then we come up with the idea of politicians who are supposed to reduce the risk of war by negotiating and looking at things and sorting it out as a group. Look at the fine mess that lot keep getting us into which has also lead to yet more violence in many countries - and then they don't understand why other countries and religions decide to take revenge against us?!
Granted if you look at most animal species they're pretty violent in many ways too but thats usually for food to survive. We do it just to eradicate the enemy and their beliefs.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

yeah....and they say it is the basis of religion,and the man in charge, god...allah..jehovah etc etc etc .... (insert your own deity) .who is supposed to be "all powerful" does nothing to stop it ....same as all the diseases that mankind has to suffer....the "all powerful" sure seems to be lacking in "supreme power" otherwise we would be living in utopia.
myredhotcar
Grafter

It's based on a book full of violence. Killing babies, fratricide, genocide, wars, vengeful punishments (childbirth wasn't painful until the whole apple incident), wearing mixed fabrics or sowing more than one crop was a sin... ad nauseum.
Even the one nice sounding bloke, the guy that built the ark and saved the fluffy animals (in a highly improbable manner I must add) only built the ark because god was upset Noah was an incestuous drunk.
To be fair: what did you expect  Wink
http://fuzzyquark.comxa.com/bible_atrocities.html
Community Veteran

But do people read this and really understand what they are reading ?
The more I read of this stuff the less I would want to have anything to do with it or what it stood for.
Fixes: 47

The species of animal called Homo Sapien is a warlike creature whether it be against the people in the house next door or the people in the country next door.
Man will create reasons to go to war like envy, greed or religion.
People have said 'get rid of religion and we get rid of war' but we will simply create something new to fight over.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

and even in the last few thousand years nobody has noticed that all religions follow the same pagan rituals at the same times of year........ the only difference is what bit of mumbo jumbo legendary tale's in the various "religious books" are to be followed with zealotry
personally I don't follow religion although I have read several of the books (translated versions) and sat with a loon that spent half his adult life comparing all the different texts for similarities, I say loon because nobody believed him and nobody cared yet he persisted until the day he died (which ironically was through being stabbing by some stupid zealot outside a mosque for his blasphemy) I do wonder though what religion the stabber was he cant of been a follower of Islam since that detail never made the news and it was at the height of the Iraq protesting.......
if everyone was to convert en-masse to something that was believable without long dead deities to be prayed to perhaps then all peoples of the world could be enhanced through modernity and yet still fulfil the urge for one ness with nature through ecology, it wont happen unless its a way of making all the key players richer than they dreamed of but its probably the only thing  that could ever actually work, even self proclaimed atheists believe in the religions that they don't follow otherwise they would just declare themselves none denominational.....

meh its all a mess but its Christmas (another celebration stolen from pre existing religions) so lets go with tradition and celebrate with some merriment and plenty of gorging ready for the new-year party  Cheesy
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

i came across this years ago in a poetry book:
"how odd of god to choose the jews,
but not so odd as those who choose,
a jewish god, yet spurn the jews."
a quick google elicits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Norman_Ewer
which adds much more flavour.
what gets me about both christianity and islam is that they are both stolen from judaism and yet both of these "true" religions preach hatred towards the jews.  it's all vile propoganda as far as i can see.
for more information visit youtube and look for lewis black.  he's got some interesting things to say about religion.
personally i think religion is just an excuse for a bunch of men to get up in drag and bedeck themselves with as much bling as they can find and, furthermore, con us into paying for it.  they're havin' a laff.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

1. Religion is not entirely unlike inner city gang culture, just on a much larger scale.
2. Virtually all religions claim to follow the one true god and that all others are wrong. Doesn't that mean that, at least, all but one religion is based on a false premise?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Glenn
Grafter

@ Artificer.....
Christianity was not stolen from Judaism ...and Islam is a deliberate perversion of Christianity (it has practically everything in direct opposition to Christianity and Judaism) written and spread by the enemies of the Jews and Christians.
Christianity does not preach hatred of Jews....false Christianity has...ie the Church of Rome...and the Russian and Greek Orthodox Churches...these churches are very much pagan and from very shortly after the Gospel was brought to the gentiles (non Israelites of eastern and southern Europe - who always had enmity against Israel) they sought to wrest the rightfully Jewish leadership of The New Covenant (Christianity)....and loved to cling to their own pagan beliefs.
In my own upbringing (and it's been pretty much the same in the UK after the Reformation)....it was plainly understood from our King James Bible that the Jews were not to be hated or persecuted for not accepting Jeshua (Jesus) - English translation being Joshua.
It is made explicitly clear in the Bible that God spiritually blinded the Jews for the most part and then brought salvation to the gentiles and that near the end of this age God would open the eyes of the Jews again and they would clearly see and come to accept Jeshua (Jesus) as their Messiah...which has been happening in the last few decades.
The Jews at the time of Christ and for a few centuries after hated and fiercely persecuted and murdered the Jewish Christians and whipped up Rome and all who would listen against these first Christians who's head quarters was in Jerusalem.
Judaism itself is a Babylonian corruption of their earlier Torah faith...believe me...Moses and King David never practiced Judaism.
As for the ills that men do in the name of religion...that's the corruption that the Bible itself speaks of many times in both the Old Testament (testament means covenant) and in the New Testament.
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water as they say.
Smiley
dletter

@gleneagles
Can't admit to ever having read the Bible from end to end but the old testament certainly seems very violent

Here is a fun? Undecided way to read the bible.
http://www.thebricktestament.com/home.html