cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BBC tv on demand download service

peterfleet
Grafter

The BBC tv on demand download service

I am considering trying this service using the BBC iplayer.
To those that already use it may I ask for their views on the quality of the service since the beginning of December 2007, the pitfalls and ways to work round them? If this has already been posted I would be grateful for a link.
I use Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11 on a 3gig Pentium.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: The BBC tv on demand download service

The main thing to note is that if you are downloading for later viewing you will be using a P2P application and part of the bandwidth you pay Plusnet for will be used by the iPlayer software passing on the programs you've downloaded to other users.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I don't know about the actual iPlayer client as I have a mac, however the web based version of it is excellent - although I belive that still uses a fair amount of bandwidth...
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]thinks the web-based version is actually rubbish, because the encoding quality's not very good and it uses Flash.[/me]
pcoventry
Grafter

I use the bbci player almost daily and I have to say it has been  greatly improved
Now downloading is not the only option it will also let you stream the content(although it is the web version) if you do not wish to have kontiki rob you of your bandwidth. That said there is also the option to not have the content transfered in the background, and as far as I can see it does what it's told. But for anyone who wants to make sure just close down kservice.exe from the running tasks which will end all kontiki activity
Same goes for 4OD and Joost etc.. 
Community Veteran

So if it uses p2p tech as stated above that presumably will stop a LOT of PN customers using this service won't it?
Last time I tried p2p I was lucky to acheive 300bytes per second - I take it I'll need a few weeks to watch one video then?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The last time I used iPlayer to download a program was during the evening and it came down at over 600Kbytes/s so the whole program downloaded in not many minutes. But then I am on PAYG. The speed people will see will depend on their account and time of day - if their account is not suitable for P2P they should not be surprised if it does not work well!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Kontiki (which the iPlayer is based upon) and 4OD (the Channel 4 equivalent) are prioritised as Gold on all account types, I do believe.
B.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

The BBC iplayer, 4OD and others are given a good priority on the network to ensure they are usable and the content watchable at a good speed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
paulby
Grafter

From PN's Help Page (near the bottom):
Peer-to-Peer (High Demand File sharing applications)
Includes applications such as: Bittorent, Azeurus, Emule, Limewire and others. Does not include applications which happen to use P2P technology, such as Kontiki (used by the BBC and Sky) and 4OD, both of which are treated as 'streaming' and prioritised on our network accordingly.
pcoventry
Grafter

Indeed, I've not had a customer yet call to say their speed was slow on any of the above.
Denzil
Grafter

You can only download any way if you are running XP or Vista and use IE7. Anything else and you can only stream.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I've discovered how to get an inferior stream from the BBC.
Does anyone know how to do the same (or better) for the commercial stations?
The web sites get as far as telling me that I don't have a stack of proprietary stuff installed.
Is it allowed to ask here how I can download a decent .avi version of a BBC program - after all I've paid my licence!

N/A

Quote from: axisofevil
Is it allowed to ask here how I can download a decent .avi version of a BBC program - after all I've paid my licence!

I'd have thought so, BBC programming is all free to license payers in this country isn't it?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Well, I wasn't sure - the BBC claim they don't offer me downloads because I don't have an ugly pile of DRM installed.
I'm therefore looking for a workaround because a streamed download, converted into flash and played through a browser can't be expected to look very wonderful.