Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Amazon experience.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

The Amazon experience.

I had a strange order (digital video) suddenly pop up on my list of orders - what! I didn't order that. Anyway went into my list of orders and there didn't seem to be anyway of cancelling it. I'd also had Prime suddenly get enabled on a trial basis!!!! Looking like we'd been hacked, I went through the list on getting help and getting nowhere, I decided to phone them. Looks up the contact us and there is a 'we'll phone you back' link. Entered my details and clicked it.

What happened next? Well you could have knocked me over with a feather. No sooner had I clicked it, the mobile started to ring, answered. A voice said it was Amazon and wait times were less than one minute! None of this, we value our customers etc BS while you wait hours. A couple of rings later and on comes an agent. 5 minutes later, job done. Refund issued and explanation of where that order had popped up from given.

In reality it was all my fault! I'd recently moved the Fire TV box to the shop and the wife hadn't realised that it was still set up to order, literally with one click. Lucky it was only £1.99 (and I'd initially thought the account had been hacked). Lesson learnt. Make sure you block ordering if you don't want it to happen on that device.

And in case you're wondering if we are licenced to play music in the shop. Yes we are but I can tell you on a 'we'll give it a go for a year and review whether its worth it then' basis, it is relatively bl^^dy expensive with it being a yearly cost with limited means of spreading the payments out. Even worse is the TV licence fee added on top.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 191

Re: The Amazon experience.

@idonno 

Why the TV license? I thought that this was only applicable to live transmissions or your recordings of live stuff plus IPlayer

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@idonno 

Had the same experience with Amazon a while back - an order that I'd not ordered and a quick call back from my initial on line contact. Out of interest I asked where the call was coming from and the guy said it was Canada.

As for a TV licence, when I had my little repair shop there was was no charge for those on display and showing whatever it was that was on. All that was required was for us supply the name and address of those we sold televisions to.  Never liked doing it and still feel bad about it after all these years but, overheads are overheads. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Why the TV license? I thought that this was only applicable to live transmissions or your recordings of live stuff plus IPlayer

That's the problem. While I'd like to think it would always be just recorded stuff (and we might go that route yet), somehow I don't think it will always be so. Case of covering all bases.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?