Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Air Hospital..... could be interesting

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The Air Hospital..... could be interesting

Just spotted this,
The Air Hospital,.... a prog about a plane the has been equipped as a hospital to bring our wounded soldiers back from Afghanistan in less than 36 hours
on MORE 4 at 10 pm tonight......
could be interesting.....
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: The Air Hospital..... could be interesting

To be honest, I thought there was at least one operating since the start of the Iraq "non-war". Sure I saw either a documentary or a news clip quite a while ago featuring one. Think it was a converted C17, complete with paramedics, operating facilities, nursing staff etc. Even had x-ray available.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Petlew, there has been something on this in the past. I remember seeing it.
Community Veteran

Yes, I remembered rightly.  It was shown on C4 last month.
Hospital
Community Veteran

I can't imagine a surgeon being willing to operate on someone whilst airborne, unless the patient was already going to die without the operation.  One small pocket of air turbulence whilst the surgeon has scapel in hand could be enough to kill the patient.
So if the choice is operate or let them die, then sure, operate, but if the choice isn't that stark then the surgeon is going to wait until they are on the ground before doing anything.
Community Veteran

I'm sure the surgeons can be relied on to know their limitations Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m not a "blood and gore" fan.... would not watch progs like "Doctors" or ER, etc.... but was quite impressed with the staff and their dedication to their patients.
and if I were injured like some of them were, then I would be only to pleased (except I would also be sedated) to know that I was being transferred back to a UK hospital for treatment , in the most medically safe environment, of that flying hospital...
Quite a lot of the staff at Southampton and Portsmouth Hospitals, are members of the Navy Medical department, and many of them are called away from their "hospital" duties, to go to "Hotspots" with only a few hours notice.  I am full of admiration for them all..
Programs like the "flying hospital". only do them justice, when people can see and understand what stress and strain they undergo, trying to save lives and ease the pain.