cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That was close!

Fixes: 124

That was close!

Man nearly gets sliced in lift.
My brother is a lift designer so I will ask him about this when he gets back from holiday.
I avoid lifts where possible but that is because I hate being closed in.
When I visit my wife's family in Ukraine I will walk up/down the 13 flights rather than use the lift. There are massive holes in the walls and floor, it shakes quite violently as it starts and stops and there are buttons missing and wires poking out from the control panel.
The feeling I hate most with any lift is when it stops but there is a short delay before the doors open. Probably less than a second but I'm already set to pounce as soon as they do with my heart pounding and a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: That was close!

There have been many horror films with exactly that scenario.
It's not just you that dislikes lifts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There have been cases where a person thought the lift had arrived as the doors opened only to end up falling down the lift shaft.
Like most things accidents can happen in lifts as they can almost anywhere.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Here's another lift video (from a few years ago), would be funny if someone didn't die. Huh
https://youtu.be/WkkT2tII_GI
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Lifts don't really bother me but one place i worked years ago used to have a dodgy one that would often open 6 inches or so above or below the floor level. If it opened above the floor level you thought it was just getting old and confused but when it opened below it you felt worried... very worried lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm not too fussed about travelling in lifts, they have braking systems to prevent freefall, the cables are strong enough that if all but one broke the remaining cable could hold the whole lift filled to capacity without any problem, and the control systems in them are usually pretty smart to not cause the issue of being off-target (so long as the building owner maintains them of course!! If they don't, sue 'em for damages!)... Grin
The history of them's quite interesting too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oo-Va-UP-8