Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That's a first for me.....

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

That's a first for me.....

For the last day and a half, the car has been in for repairs - nothing serious. A slight fuel problem and while they were having a look for the cause of that, they found the coolant housing to be leaking. No problem, fix it. No point having a car half fixed. Unfortunately the new part they fitted had a crack in it, so it stayed overnight at the garage while another new part arrived. Got a phone call to say it was ready and picked it up about 3 hours later. I decided to check both problems were cured by driving the long way home. You know - 70mph roads!

Gets home, comes indoor and then thought I suppose I'd better just pop the bonnet before I forget and have a look see. Did that and it was a "what on earth are you doing there" moment. Jammed between the battery and the bulkhead was a young cat!! It soon scarpered downwards and exited the car but where it came from I don't know. I really can't see it having got in that quick after I had just parked it and tbh grateful it didn't fall out on the way home. I didn't even have time to see what way it went off but I presume its a long way from home!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: That's a first for me.....

I assume the garage forgot to mention they’d fitted a new cat?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Hopefully the cat got home fine. Or someone will accept them into their home as their family and adopt them.

When I grew up with my parents, we had cats and at my sisters place, 10 mins on the bus from me. She has three, they're fine and as they got older thankfully two of them appear to have retired from the profession of bird murdering. I remember the fun and games when they left a carcus in our house. Typical, that was just before we had to go to work and get the train. Fun and games that was.

I used to travel to London Victoria and you pass "Battersea Cats and Dogs Home". I joked to my sister "I couldn't take you to the cats home, you'd try and leave with all of them!". She said "Yes". Mind you I probably would too. 😁

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Might be best to ring the mechanics and tell them that although you appreciate being fitted with a new cat at no extra cost, you didn't expect it to be the furry kind. You mention 70mph roads so i'm assuming that you've come home on dual / motorways.. might be a good idea to join the facebook groups in the area where you picked it up from and describe the cat that you've found - no doubt someone somewhere will be looking for it.

It could be a young childs cat - they'll be incredibly distressed about it.

Please do the right thing, make the effort to at least spread the word out.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The cat probably decided to get in there as they're opportunistic creatures, if there's a warm spot and an "if I fits, I sits" sized space, they'll have a snooze, of course the poor thing's probably absolutely terrified now having been in a car at speed, and finding it's far from its' home...

Could be someone's cat, but also could be just as likely to be a feral, but we'll probably never know now...

idonno
Aspiring Champion

The cat saga got even more so. About an hour later I popped back out to the car, opened the lid and it was back again! Anyway I found it was sneaking into the gear change tunnel, which of course is nigh on inaccessible from above. Couldn't get it to come out, tried all manner of enticements - food etc. Just meows etc and a pair of eyes looking up.

IMG_20200710_195410.jpg

Phoned up the garage and decided I'd have to go back to get them to lift the car up on the ramp. This morning looked under the bonnet, no sign of the cat. Went back and they did the honours, no cat found in the tunnel etc but then, I little story. Seems they found this cat (more kitten) on top of the engine in one of the cars on their forecourt that morning and it ran off. Seems my car was the next home. I don't think anyone owns it, probably a feral stray. I just hope it doesn't think my mobile wheels is home now! Haven't seen it since. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
twocvbloke
Community Veteran

If it's a feral, definitely try to catch it, whether male or female, it'll need neutering to prevent any further kittens being popped out, and plus, if the cat looks like that, it's too adorable to leave outside, needs to be given a nice home!!!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I agree @twocvbloke 

If you find him or her, try and find the cat.

It could be a stray, if so - it depends on whether your house is prepared to accept them as a member of your family.

All you can do is appreciate them and give them a good quality of life. We've had strays.

A male cat used to come round, don't know his name. I created the name "Arthuar", which me and my dad I said it means "Half of our cat". 😀

Lovely cat, and found out someone accepted him up the road which made us all happy.

idonno
Aspiring Champion

Funny enough if I could have got it out we were wondering whether to take it on board. It's not as if it was snarling or anything and I've had 2 cats in the past. The step daughter is plenty disappointed its moved on. As it is, plenty of barns around these parts to go play in.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

Might want to keep an eye out, the cat'll be nearby, may be worth seeing if you can borrow a trap from a rescue centre (which can also give the option of neutering once tamed), would rather see the little mite given a home than stuck living on the streets...