cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That darn'd cat again...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That darn'd cat again...

Was just catching up in the forums and, my cat walked across the keyboard (laptop) pressing F7 on the way. This brought up a message box, telling me that F7 (otherwise I wouldn't have known) turns Carat Browsing on or off. Anybody know what that might be? (I clicked "no" for off)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: That darn'd cat again...

Using Firefox by any chance? It's a feature of the browser not these forums. You can safely try it out F7 allows you to turn it off again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SparckZero
Grafter

Petlew,
Carat browsing places a cursor in the web page (similar to a Word document) that you can move around with the arrow keys on the keyboard, and select text using the keyboard (by pressing and holding shift and then pressing an arrow key).
Nothing sinister Smiley
Community Veteran

Thanks guy's, Yes indeed I am using Firefox.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Small point: it's called caret browsing, named after the little text-entry cursor thing which is called... a caret.
Community Veteran

smart cat ya got petlew. Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That would have been a brilliant story if your rabbit had done it ! ! ! !  Grin
Community Veteran

Just tried F7 and it brings up a box explaining what it is and asking if I want to switch it on.
Community Veteran

Ah! thanks artmo. Puss pressed F7 and I didn't read it carefully (thinking about what I could do for the cat's lifespan prosects) I pressed the "don't show this window again" (or whatever it actually says) and switched it off, haven't tried it since.

greyposter
Grafter

I tried it on IE8 and same result.
Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Petlew
I pressed the "don't show this window again" (or whatever it actually says) and switched it off, haven't tried it since.

So you won`t know what it says now will you, if you do press the Fn7 key !  Ooooooooooops !  Cheesy

My F7 key shows the speaker volume..... but if I press it with the function key, then it gives the message that you won`t ever see ! ! !  Grin Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that rectum about fizzog  or base over apex, it should be that you use function or alt and F7 to get else, on this one alt F7 is dim the display, volume is alt F2, 3 or 4