cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you, NHS

johpal
Grafter

Thank you, NHS

Sunday 13 March 2011 could have been the date on my death certificate, but for the intervention of relatives and NHS staff; some of whom were close colleagues and friends, others complete strangers. I underwent a process known as thrombolysis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrombolysis; a procedure not without risks. but I'm still here!
The NHS isn't perfect and it needs work to improve. I believe foremost it is the demands of patients that must be met, working closely with health professionals as to what is required to achieve those expectations. Next (shudders) managers are required to implement the details and at this point, input from the private sector should be welcomed, but as advice only, not Gospel. Ultimately, Government foots the bill and oversees value-for-money for the taxpayer (do not loose sight of the fact that patients, health professionals and managers are taxpayers also). Yhe NHS must cease to be a 'political football'. I hope the present Goverment is prepared to have a serious rethink of its current policies. Our lives may be dependent upon it.
4 REPLIES
geoffp0
Grafter

Re: Thank you, NHS

Glad to hear that your o.k johpal,the only complaint that I have with the NHS is these fat cat managers on film star wages, that money could be put to use elsewhere within the service.
Take care, Wink
Geoff
jmd
Grafter

Glad to hear that the intervention was successful and that you are well enoiugh to comment of the NHS!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Mine is nearly a Tale of wow as well , I have now had three operation for Carpel Tunnel.  I was diagnosed with it last April and sent to our brand new /community Hospital for the operation , first the LH which I had under a local anaesthetic on 12th October, rather a long wait, then the RH on 21st Dec, by the same person.  that didnt in my opinion do any good, so in January I went back to my doctor who arranged another electrical nerve test at the Main hospital, their diagnosis, it was worse after the operation, in the meantime this transpired
http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/braintree_news/8811485.Who_will_run_hospital_s_service...
11:30am Wednesday 26 January 2011
Health bosses have ended a contract with the company that runs services at Braintree’s newest hospital after just one year.
NHS Mid Essex has given 12 months notice to Braintree Clinical Services Limited (BCSL), which signed a five-year contract last January to run the £20m Braintree Community Hospital.

BCSL are a subsidiary of Arkanum a Canadian pfi lot http://www.interhealthcareservices.co.uk/pages/index.php?id=164
so this week 15th Mar I went into the main hospital and had a repair job done by the consultant under a general anaesthetic, and in just two days, the feeling in my R hand is back to what it was last April, and it normally takes about at least six weeks to get back full feeling
must have been bad
http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/braintree_news/8911979.Hospital_under_new_management/
9:20am Thursday 17 March 2011

A new management team has taken over Braintree Community Hospital this week.
It comes after health trust NHS Mid Essex cut short its contract with Braintree Clinical Services Limited(BCSL) in January, after just one year.
Serco Health has now taken over BCSL with a new management team led by Paul Forden, managing director of acute care for Serco Health.
nadger
Rising Star

I have every respect for NHS and treatment I received for advanced bladder cancer and an infrarenal aortic aneurysm.
Bearing in mind I was a few days short of my 74th birthday when I underwent 5 to 6 hour radical cystectomy & ileal conduit and 74 and 7 months when I had 8.5 hour EVAR it shows that NHS does look after older patients.
I had to have a thrombectomy during EVAR and there was still a small clot when I left hospital but that dispersed taking clopidogrel within 6 weeks.
Still find it amazing that they can operate on a 1" diameter artery when one is still awake. First EVAR was only performed just over 20 years ago so there are still only 3 hospitals that can do it in the country.
If it wasn't for the CT scans I was having, as part of cancer diagnosis, the aortic aneurysm would have continued to grow and I would suddenly have been dead when it burst.
When they operated it was 2.5" diameter - I've got a copy of my CT aortagram running on laptop so could measure it for myself.