cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you Amazon

Fixes: 47

Thank you Amazon

I needed a new battery for my digital vernier and looked on Amazon and found a pack 20 for £2.79.

I was about to place the order when I noticed at the top of the page...

"You purchased this item on 17 March 2016".

Off I went in search of the batteries and found them in a drawer with 1 missing (it's an age thing).
I then backed out of the order and put a new battery in the vernier.
I'm sure many people have purchased something that they already have but can't remember if or where it is.
If it wasn't for Amazon jogging my old memory I would have done it again.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Thank you Amazon

Yes you buy things and pack them away sure you will need them some day.

When I emptied my shed (needed levelling) I found two brand new items of the thing which I was about to buy another.

I know when I have something. It's just the finding it bit.

Sometimes the thing I'm looking for is hanging from a nail in plain sight but......................

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I feel a bit better after reading these posts, assumed it was just me.

At one time I knew where every nut and bolt was in the garage, now I can even be looking at it but not see it, the fact I fail to keep things in any sort of order does not help.

Also purchased items I have had for years and forgotten I had them in the first place, fortunately nothing expensive, guess I will start to worry if I can't see the lawn mower and order another one !

Wink

Community Veteran

Sometimes it's the "not what you expected" that throws me.

Recently I was all ready to change my oil and all I needed was the socket with the square bit to unscrew the plug.

Twenty minutes of looking and I still couldn't find it.

In the end I found it in a little cabinet draw that I had already looked in twice.

So why didn't I see it when it was very clearly the part I was looking for.

It was still in its packet and I guess I was set on looking for a small shiny socket. Shape blindnessHuhHuh?

I have a fair number of rolls of masking tape.

If I had a box into which all decorating tools went I wouldn't have so many rolls of masking tape.

Fixes: 125

I have done that with a Tesco online shop. Luckily you have till just before midnight the night before to make changes.

But on a slightly related note why do people say "it was in the last place I looked"? It's not as if you would carry on looking after finding itWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My granny used to say that. Also - I went all over town to find (whatever it was) and it was in the last shop I tried!

Not young enough to know everything

Maybe if the search pattern was reversed before starting, things would be found quicker Huh

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Donkeys years ago I was working in a bank's securities department, and some valuable items were misplaced. Several of us searched through piles of paper. Not until one of us suggested searching from the bottom of each pile did we find them.

I suppose base over apex can be good sometimes.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I did the exact same thing earlier this year with a book, I was convinced I had it and Amazon proved this saying I'd bought it back in 2009, but where was it! Having searched the book cases I simply could not find it, so I bought it again. It arrived the next day and I took it out the packaging to read. But when I collected the packaging to recycle it I was confused to see the book sitting under my second Apple monitor, then it struck me. I'd used the original to 'level' the other monitor's screen with that of my Mac!

It's difficult to explain how stupid I felt at that moment in time...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Mook....Yeah But......

You can now read the book, and your monitor will not be disturbed... and your "layout" will still be perfect ! ! !.

Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I really would be lost without Amazon to identify the Strip light tubes for the fish tank or the g9 bulbs for the reading lamp. Smiley

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@shutter - That's exactly what I thought, too much hard work finding something to replace the original book so at least I don't have to move the monitor if I need to refer to the book.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have just re-organised and rebuilt my "operations centre"... and with that, decided to clear out the drawers in the desk and the chest of drawers alongside... planning to get some "organisation" into the content of each drawer... so it would be easy (ier)  to find anything..

Within a couple of hours of finishing that, I wanted a particular cable,... so I looked in the "cable" drawer..... nah !.. not in there... so religiously went through all the drawers and boxes within, only to find that I had moved it to the shed, because, at the time, I couldn`t think that I would want it again in a hurry ! ! ..

The other problem is opposite to most... I buy one item,... and then as soon as I have ordered it, think ... Now why not have two of them... and have to order another straight away !...    on that basis... I ordered two of an item ( right angled audio jack socket) and now I have them I want another one ! ! ... because I haven`t got enough ! ! ! ..

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I tend to avoid tidying things up by chucking all similar items in the same shelf /cupboard space.

one of my pet hates for over a decade was the other half's constant need to be "tidy" she can never find anything (and nor could I if she ever touched my stuff) it might look untidy but its still organised.

after a few years we achieved a happy medium she tidies up the paperwork (by date order in files) and she just gives me disapproving looks or makes comments if my disorganisation sprawls too far into the room.....

mostly that means all the mess around my desk is magically filtered by her brain so she just cant see it, the kids are always moaning it doesn't work for them Cheesy

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you