Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tested for LFT / TFT & CRP

TORPC
Grafter

Tested for LFT / TFT & CRP

Very rare I have to see my GP 7 today was one of those very rare occasions
I felt the need to go, as I had brought up a spec of blood & some black mucassy stuff, with like a ,ajor heartburn feeling in the back of the throat
As my GP is a drop in between 08:30 & 10:00 I got there for 08:17, waited in the queue, & then had to wait until approx 09:50 to see the GP, then I had to wait a further 15 mins for the nurse to take my blood.
When the nurse said "you will feel a little scratch" surprisingly I did not feel a thing tbh
I am sure that I can remember the GP taking the blood (how things have changed)
If that were still the case, it would speed the whole process up
The ticked boxes on the list to be tested for is LFT / TFT / Renal & CRP ?Huh
I think 1 is for a Liver test, 1 is for a Thyroid test, the Renal one speaks for itself, not sure of the CRP
I think I was one of the very few that followed the rule to switch the mobiles of whilst in the building, as there were quite a few texting away
However
There was a youngish lady doing some knitting (the clickety clackety) sound seemed to be relaxing, & reminded me of my Nan when she used to knit & crochet 
43 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Tested for LFT / TFT & CRP

TORPC
Grafter

Cheers MisterW
I forgot to add
I have been supplied Omeprazole 20mg gastro-resistant capsules (2Cool
Side effects
Dosage 1 Capsule per day
Community Veteran

I take Omeprazole, 2 20mg tablets daily.  I do not find any side effects. What surprises me is that the doctor hasn't ordered a gastroscopy. It's the only real way of knowing what is going on in the stomach. 
TORPC
Grafter

I doubt I'll have any of the side effects, either tbh, I think they are there as a precautionary measure
I am to take the Omeprazole for 1 month & then report back to the GP
If it clears up then all well & good, if not, then I suppose the GP will arrange any further tests deemed necessary
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I suppose you can take it from that, that the doc seems to think you will last at least a month ! ! ! ...  Cheesy
Hope it sorts itself out for you...  Wink
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

sounds like your doctor suspects an ulcer, (hence the omeprezerol)
@artmo, they tend not to order the scope test as it costs too much and often has complications....consultants often prefer to use scans /tissue x-rays as non invasive measures before committing to finally scoping people
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

The tablets are not only for ulcers but a range of other problems as well.
My GP ordered a gastroscopy because it is the best test for looking at a multitude of problems which X-Rays cannot pick up. They are not expensive compared with other tests especially if they get to the cause of a problem first time. Also there is no evidence that they 'often cause complications'. Where is your evidence for this?

nanotm
Pro

well I'd call 1 in 100 a common rate of complication especially given that that's the UK average and some hospitals have higher rates than others .....(one is as low as 1 in 20)
and I know there an ometic  which is commonly prescribed for gastric problems or to prevent them when prescribed in tandem with other medications, but given the symptoms provided its either something serious (which the GP doesn't suspect but ordered tests to rule out), an ulcer or a dietary allergy..... (or at least that's what the GP is thinking because of the treatment option utilised)

itsme
Grafter

Do you know the cause of stomach ulcers and treatment? Not sure whether the breath test for ulcers is now available.
TORPC
Grafter

@nanotm
knowing my GP as she has been our GP for years
If she thought it was anything serious, she would of sent me straight down to the hospital for tests
How on earth can you know what my GP was / is / is not thinking ?Huh
As artmo quite rightly pointed out
Quote from: artmo
The tablets are not only for ulcers but a range of other problems as well.

Furthermore
Please substantiate you findings / sources
As your excuse, (Its in books etc) just fails to wash with us
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I suspect the cause of stomach ulcers is due to high levels of acid in the stomach  caused by bad diet, eating too quickly and stress, smoking also adds to the problem,
There are a range of treatments usually medical but in some cases they have to resort to Surgery
nanotm
Pro

as you so often like to say google has the answers ......
as to what the GP was thinking, its not rocket science, but unless the GP is deranged its common policy to refer for any suspicion of something serious, otherwise they treat the symptom and have some minor tests run just in case its not what it appears to be (which would be the standard practice there all supposed to follow)
@itsme there are many different reasons for them to be caused, as to a breath test the only one I'm aware of is the one that's being developing in the USA unless you mean the detectable presence of odour during an examination ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
well I'd call 1 in 100 a common rate of complication especially given that that's the UK average and some hospitals have higher rates than others .....(one is as low as 1 in 20)

It would be worrying if it was true.  from an official NHS website:
Risks
A gastroscopy is a very safe procedure and serious complications, such internal bleeding, are rare, occurring in less than 1 in 1,000 cases.
Read more about the possible risks associated with a gastroscopy.

A different picture you'd have to agree. Where did you get your figure from or was it made up by you? Read this article.
Gastroscopy
TORPC
Grafter

We would like you to clarify your findings with hard evidence that can not be called into refute, since we seem to be singing from the same Google song sheet with different results
Can or rather will you actually produce an exact link to your findings
Quote from: nanotm
as to a breath test the only one I'm aware of is the one that's being developing in the USA

@artmo
Thank you for sharing the link
at least we can see the facts & not what seems to come with thin air, without supported evidence
I would like some people to go to a judge & quote (If you want to see the evidence of my claims, then you will have to GOOGLE IT your Honour)