cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesla Battery

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Tesla Battery

Elon Musk is delivering a revolutionary Tesla Powerwall battery at $3000 for 7kWh.
I can go to a marine supplier and buy a high quality lead acid leisure battery 12 volt 150 Amp/Hour for circa £250. I make that 1.8 kWh for £250. Or is my maths terribly wrong?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Tesla Battery

His invention is this, it's a UPS with a solar panel connection & big battery packs, people have been doing that for years for off-grid solutions aswell as backup power sources, so, kind of a non-invention really... Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I heard of this on the DM a few days back and i must say i wasn't overly excited and certainly didn't see it as a life changing invention either.
Lets face it, in a country full of cloud, where money is being sucked up by vampires politicians and bankers and nobody really has any money to think about recovering expenditure over the next 20-30 years, who on earth would want it? - Only the mega rich who'd run out of gimmicks to spend money on.
From my POV, it's a non starter.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's the price that gets me, for less money you could buy the solar panels, batteries, some UPS units, appropriate cabling, and hey presto you have the same thing, the only reason it's "successful" (or predicted to be) is that it's from california, where it's sunny a lot of the time and is filled with idiots who believe the twaddle and love the green thing, while driving humvees and spraying gallons of water over their lawns...
Community Veteran

In fairness to them that water is brought in via man made channels - it isn't naturally available in that area so to a point, they're not really wasting it as it was never there anyway.
But yes, the rest of your comment i agree with. It's a strange concept to us but to them out there, it's the first mass production system available to people. Over here it would be pointless and useless. If you're an economy7 person then it might pay to charge up a load of high capacity batteries overnight and discharge them through the day but i'd doubt that many people would want the cost or be willing to wait years to see their money back (and by that time the batteries would be dead anyway lol)
I'll stick with my original thought.. non starter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hmmm, maybe I'm reading a different article.  Undecided
From what I read in the article, it simply draws power off the grid at prearranged times ( ie when it is cheap) and feeds it back to the consumer for use when demand is high or power is expensive.
Maybe these batteries should be subsidised by the  electricity generators, as the biggest benefit is to them.
Community Veteran

That was how i understood it too doris.. but even so it's a massive expense to save just a few pence and would take years to recover the cost.
The only people i see buying it in this country are the rich or new home builders.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Slight correction
The only people i see buying it in this country are the rich or new home builders and people who cover their roof with solar panels and run hybrid cars .
because you know it makes sense