cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tescos own brand bread price raised

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Tescos own brand bread price raised

Just added a few items to a delivery I have comming and noticed the new price.
The white lable Medium Sliced White Loaf 800G was till my last order 47 pence and now 74 pence.  So far it is the only item in my favorites that has this high an increase, so have grain prices really gone that high to justfy this?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tescos own brand bread price raised

Somebody typed the price into the computer wrong? (4 7 - 7 4)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm... sounds familiar.... !... Morrisons own brand bread has been retailing at around the same price for while,.... although they do do promotions on it from time to time... (sometimes only lasting a day or two) and do 2 for a £1.00... however, they nearly always have another (private) brand (not major), retailing at 50p, which I find the same quality and texture.
jmd
Grafter

Wish my gluten free bread only cost 74p.................. my loaf [made by Genius] costs £2.89.......................... Sad
Community Veteran

Hi Josie..
Perhaps this page (if you haven`t seen it already) may be of use to you...... Wink
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/diets/gluten_free
Community Veteran

jmd
Grafter

Unfortunately you only get gluten free bread on prescription if you are diagnosed coeliac - I was tested a few years ago and it was found that I was not coeliac...................... but the consultant said I obviously had some intolerance to wheat.
So it is my choice to restrict my diet to wheat free products and since doing so I have had less stomach trouble and my exzema has improved.  But my groceries cost more!
Now my diet will be even more restricted as I have just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and that has to be controlled by diet at present - I see practice nurse next week to discuss this.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My order arrived this afternoon and yes confirmed price is 74p.  That loaf has been 47p since June when it increased from 30p,  so having a hard time seeing why Tesco have increased it by 27p
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Hi Gus,
You could try and write a letter to the customer service manager, at Tesco HQ, and ask him to justify the price hike.... and explain the financial and personal hardship it causes... lay it on thick about how much you enjoy the taste and consistency of Tesco bread, and that being on a fixed income the price rise has severely curtailed your amount of bread you can afford to buy. this is restricting your choice and your diet by reducing the amount of bread you use in your diet etc etc etc etc... use any little excuse you can find.....
When I complained about the appalling quantity of morrisons bread (search this forum). I eventually received a letter of apology, and a £10 voucher.... also the local manager must have been instructed to make sure the amount of morrisons bread available was appropriate to the size of his store and customer base.. since then it has been pretty consistent,...
@jmdlp.... on that linky that I posted there are supposed to be 3500 recipes for gluten free diet..... and on the right hand side of the page, there are various other dietry recipes...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Good luck getting a nice reply from Tesco. One of their staff did damage to our car a few years back (intentionally too). I wrote them a letter complaining and included photos etc.
I got a very short reply back apologising and saying it was dealt with. No gesture of goodwill, no sincere apology.. the tone of the letter was "I can't be bothered to deal with this but have to follow my orders".
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Gus
My order arrived this afternoon and yes confirmed price is 74p. 

It could still be a case of mistyping. If the computer says 74p that's what you'll be charged by the scanner.  It's worth a call to the store to see if the shelf edge label has the same price.
John
Community Veteran

It's 74p online and comparable to others in the price checks.
Community Veteran

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sainsbury Value is 47, regular 74
nadger
Rising Star

I noticed that small Tesco Farmhouse loaf had gone up to 80p yesterday.