Tesco

I see that the mighty Tesco is selling assets
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30712762
Already had email from Blinkbox saying they are now part of TalkTalk
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Tesco

Hmm.... interesting to note who will take over next year....

It also announced that Matt Davies, the boss of Halfords Group, will take charge of Tesco's operations in the UK and Republic of Ireland from June.

I visualise the home delivery service doing away with the vans, and bringing back the "butcher boy" bike deliveries  http://www.daveyoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/5459401124_a1028302c5_z.jpg
Those bikes are terrible to ride.... especially with a full load on ... I used to deliver boxes of wine on one, and nearly lost about £200 worth trying to negotiate a corner, once !..
however.... this might be a better option....    (a conversion of a shopping trolley) .....      https://kitesurfbikerambling.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo2.jpg
of course.... taking the kids shopping can be a bit of a problem.....
but not for this mum.( in Oregon, USA) .. 6 kids on a bike.....  http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/12/article-2202067-14F9AF0C000005DC-407_640x360.jpg
nadger
Rising Star

We have an Aldi and Tesco next door to each other.
Have used Aldi since cash only days but have noticed a dramatic increase in customers recently.
Community Veteran

Having tried recently to open a tesco bank account I was amazed at how difficult they make it.
I particularly liked the oddity of being a tesco bank customer and not being a tesco bank customer at the same time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Hardly surprising that Tesco BB is now with TT, since they provided it anyway.
"Tesco is closing its staff pension scheme" I hope this is just to new members, as SHMBO is a current member.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Hairy

According to ispreview they were using Vodafone's.

Apparently Tesco’s broadband customers, which at the last check were still using Vodafone’s LLU telecoms network, will be transferred across to the TalkTalk platform “over the coming months” (i.e. completed by September 2015). Incidentally Vodafone are currently gearing up to launch their own consumer broadband package this spring.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/uk-isp-talktalk-confirm-acquisition-tesco-broadband-pho...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Last time I checked the BB leaftlet, it supplied by TT. Mind you that was over a year ago.
Fixes: 105

Telegraph reports it's Voda as well.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Interesting to note that with Tesco's the value of the "sum of all the parts"  (Dobbies, Tesco's Bank, the property portfolio, Tesco's Local, Tesco's offshore ..............and so on....)
is worth considerable more than the quoted LSE stock market value.
It is a business ripe for a corporate Raid by a sovereign wealth fund.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: journeys

It is a business ripe for a corporate Raid by a sovereign wealth fund.

Yeah, but,...... I have to pay off my barclaycard, at the end of the month,.... so it`ll have to wait...  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Warren Buffett sold a large part of his shareholding in Tesco last year but still owns 301m shares. He may see the present problems as a good time to buy back in again.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy

Tesco also confirmed that two of its businesses - Tesco Broadband and online entertainment service Blinkbox movies, will be sold to TalkTalk.

Additionally, Tesco is closing its staff pension scheme, will make cuts of £250m, and reduce overheads by 30%.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I hope they sell our local store (laughingly called a "superstore", it's an ex-co-op so it's tiny!!) to someone else, like Sainsburys, I miss shopping at Sainsburys, their donuts are nicer... Grin
That said I was reading the local free rag and their plans to build an obnoxious store over in Stanley (akin to the one in Gateshead apparently, went to that one in December and good god it's huge!!) have been shelved, Stanley's half dead as it is, with all the buildings being burnt down and shops being vandalised on a daily basis, bring in the giant business killer known as tesco and that's it, the whole area is killed... Roll eyes
It's about time tesco's reign was curbed, there's too many tesco stores as it is, from the little local things to the huge metropolis buildings, all pushing smaller shops out of business by massively undercutting prices, not to mention treating their suppliers like dirt, there's small countries out there who think tesco is a country and they want to go to war with them because of the way they're taking advantage of the people, it's not exactly a business model that comforts me... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
Warren Buffett sold a large part of his shareholding in Tesco last year but still owns 301m shares. He may see the present problems as a good time to buy back in again.

Is that really all that you care about? Profit, loss and shares? Real people have been badly affected by this company and all your worried about is the rich making more money?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

For some people, cash is king, sell high, buy low, and never give a monkies about what it's doing to real people who are doing the hard wok that generates the cash... Roll eyes