cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco to remove 24 hr shopping from 76 stores

Fixes: 125

Tesco to remove 24 hr shopping from 76 stores

[quote=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-3422669/Tesco-calls-time-24-hour-shopping-76-stores.html]Supermarket giant Tesco will reduce opening hours at some of its 24-hour stores due to a lack of customers shopping though the night.
The company, which began operating 24-hour stores back in 1996, said 76 out of the 400 stores currently open around the clock would be affected by the change: they will now close at midnight and reopen again at 6am.
Instead of shopping at night, it is believed many customers are now heading online for their groceries, and the move is part of chief executive Dave Lewis's attempt to stem Tesco's recent profits slump by redesigning its operations
I haven't shopped many times at night but when I have the shop has been almost empty.. great for getting round quickly but many shelves were empty.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

20 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Tesco to remove 24 hr shopping from 76 stores

I think I only used it a couple of times in the early days, mainly around the run up to Christmas and about 5 - 6 am thinking I could save myself some queuing time,
Like you found, a lot of the shelves were almost empty and it just wasn't worth it,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The local small, definitely-not-a-superstore-like-they-claim is only 6am to midnight, so, no real loss... Grin
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mayfly
I think I only used it a couple of times in the early days, mainly around the run up to Christmas and about 5 - 6 am thinking I could save myself some queuing time,
Like you found, a lot of the shelves were almost empty and it just wasn't worth it,

One reason they were open 24 hours was that the staff were in restocking the shelves through the night, so would expect shelves to be fully stocked by 6am.
When I use to work nights and go at 4am I it was hard to get around because of all the boxes and stock in the aisles so on safety grounds I thought they should not be open.  
Fixes: 47

I've only been in my local Tesco Superstore twice between midnight and 6am and as others have said it was very quiet.
I didn't have any problems with my shopping list however and found everything I went for.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I used to live near a 24 hour Tescos and occasionally went late in evening and once or twice about 2am.
Very few customers and many shelves half empty and not the things I want.
I know the cost of opening is fairly marginal as only a couple manning the checkouts - so apart from city centre ones such as in London which is a 24 hour city I cant see the point of 24 hour.
Community Veteran

Back when I lived in Lancashire, the local Asda was 24hr (probably still is), and with me and my sleep disorder I went there at least once or twice a week during the night, so it is useful for us nightowls, even happened upon Tony Livesey once when he was returning home from being on the telly (BBC North West Tonight, before he started really going national) that night... Smiley
Community Veteran

I've never shopped later than about 8pm and never before 8am so the move won't worry me. It has to be costly manning a store 24/7 and I guess this is part of their rationale in taking the decision.
The stores even when advertised as 24/7 closed at midnight on Saturdays, traded Sunday hours, then closed until 6am Mondays to comply with Sunday trading laws.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: itsme
When I use to work nights and go at 4am I it was hard to get around because of all the boxes and stock in the aisles so on safety grounds I thought they should not be open. 

I've never had any problem, or safety concerns navigating round the boxes of stock. It's just the same in ASDA. There's already too much "elf and safety" in this country already!
Quote from: artmo
It has to be costly manning a store 24/7 and I guess this is part of their rationale in taking the decision.

The staff are there anyway restocking the shelves. It only requires one or two to be capable of manning a till as and when required. And there's always Self Service.
As far as Dave Lewis's "redesigned operations" go so far, they have seen me shop less in Tesco. Reduced choices on a number of product lines is the main issue, but stock control seems worse as well.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Anotherone
Reduced choices on a number of product lines is the main issue

That's my gripe with te$co, I like Heinz mayonnaise, they stopped selling it offering only their own brand white guck, Hellmans disgustingly vinegary nastiness, or some overpriced yellow hipster stuff, now Asda gets my money for Heinz mayo...
It's not the only thing they've taken away though, there's plenty of other things I liked buying but have now gone, but every little they take away helps put my money in someone else's store, and other people are doing the same, so, either they buck up their ideas, or Tesco will join other failed supermarkets like KwikSave in the doldrums of history... Cool
Steve
Seasoned Pro

When I moved to where I live now the tesco store here was a 24hr one. But that changed a long time ago ( 9 year ago perhaps if not more ) to closing at midnight. On the plus side they are creating 150 new jobs in the city of Dundee ( call centre )
Community Veteran

I've only used late night shopping a few times.
Each time having to wait just a minute while someone stacking the shelves comes to the checkout.
I suppose the original idea of late night shopping was a no brainer with many shops lit up anyway with shelf stacking going on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: twocvbloke
..........vinegary nastiness, or some overpriced yellow hipster stuff..........

Ha, I found similar with some "own" brands of Salad Cream as well!
Quote from: twocvbloke
It's not the only thing they've taken away though, there's plenty of other things I liked buying but have now gone, but every little they take away helps put my money in someone else's store, and other people are doing the same..........

Exactly, and that's precisely what I've been doing. There are a few products that I specifically want from Tesco - either because they are the best value or the competitor quality is poorer, as for the rest, if I'm in another store and the deal is better, I buy it there.
Community Veteran

You can always make your own mayonnaise and get the taste you want Smiley
Community Veteran

Or I could just say to Asda "Hey, unlike tesco, you have Heinz mayo, I like that, here's my money!"... Grin