cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco's Bird Seed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 37

Tesco's Bird Seed

I bought a 3Kg bag of Bird Seed in my last online shop and with it getting milder I though I'd put it to use, but for the life of me I cannot find the planting instructions on the packet. Anyone!

24 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Tesco's Bird Seed

Simples - open packet, scatter.Grin

John
8BKA
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I used to get very strange looking plants growing from the seeds the birds did not/would not  eat which dropped onto the ground from the bird table was expecting a visit from the boys in blue.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

it depends on which type of seed, because they sell a bird seed that's called No Grow produced by a company called Gardman. This means that you don't get patches of growth under the bird feeders. Check the pack.  Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Well that's what I thought @jab1 but I don't want the birds to eat the seeds! Got to give them a chance to grow, hence the need for planting instructions.

Community Veteran

@Pete11 - According to the pack it's a (Tesco one brand) Seed Mix, so I'm expecting to grow a whole variety of different birds.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

You can transplant them by gently scooping out the young plants (make sure to get some soil with them) and planting them where you want them to grow, or, take 2 or 3 young seedlings and place them in a small plant pot outside so they don't spread (some do). Whichever way you go for gently water them once planted.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

You won't grow birds however much bird seed you plant.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@AlaricAdair - Is that a polite way of saying I've wasted my money?

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

One thing I forgot, when you replant them, they might droop for a couple of days, just leave them and they'll pick up, just gently water them if no rain forecasted.

Highlighted
jab1
Seasoned Champion

@Mook wrote:

Well that's what I thought @jab1 but I don't want the birds to eat the seeds! Got to give them a chance to grow, hence the need for planting instructions.

Ah - got you (I thinkWink) but I forsee a problem - birds don't grow from seeds, they come out of eggs.Grin

John
Community Veteran

@jab1 - I thought it was too good to be true. Oh well no harm done I'll feed it to the birds after all. Grin

jab1
Seasoned Champion

@Mook always glad to be of help.Funny

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The way to plant bird seed is you dig out a firework left over from bonfire night (or held in stock for new year), put it into the seed pointy end down, place the seed somewhere in the middle of where you're planting, light the fuse, run, and after a short while, the seed is planted... Crazy

Community Veteran

Good idea @twocvbloke, very novel, but I don't do fireworks, but there's always next year. Wink