Tesco getting bad press again

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Tesco getting bad press again

29 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Tesco getting bad press again

As she said she was still on the premises.
What a ridiculous situation.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

How do those "security" guards deal with shoppers who use trolleys, then.... cos .. really, ... they are "wire baskets" with wheels.....  what a pair of overpaid plonkers..
Tesco`s response... an apology, and a £10 voucher.... YAY... RESULT !>>...
Pathetic... on both counts Tesco....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well it is unusual to allow the removal of baskets from the premises (i.e. INSIDE the shop), e.g. Aldi don't allow them past the checkout locally. 
I have NEVER heard of anyone taking a basket to the car (and then returning it), trolleys on the other hand usually have a blocker that stops then being removed from the car park. They were designed to be used to the car, baskets were designed to be used to the checkout then messages put in a BAG.
On the whole just sh1t stirring again by the daily fail. Not a real story. If this was real then the shops would have to pay out millions to all the others who did the same.
Community Veteran

can you guys confirm the following?
plastic bag law does it affect deliveries?
Asda claim it does and my delivery came today without bags, and I hurt my back taking out all the items one by one.  The driver said asda are adding an option for deliveries to pay for bags but I believe the law excludes deliveries.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So, they grabbed someone trying to use a basket to carry stuff to a car, but they're perfectly okay with people wandering off home with a whole full-size trolley? Sad, but then, who cares, I'm sorted, I have a rucksack with additional bags inside it... Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Look at the costs.
Say £100 for one trolley. They loose maybe 1 a week. And some are recovered.
£5 for a basket, they could loose 10's a day.
As I said trolleys are supposed to be stopped when they exit the car park, unless of course you put it in your boot. ;-) (don't try this at home)
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: chrcoluk
can you guys confirm the following?
plastic bag law does it affect deliveries?
Asda claim it does and my delivery came today without bags, and I hurt my back taking out all the items one by one.  The driver said asda are adding an option for deliveries to pay for bags but I believe the law excludes deliveries.

I was caught out this week as I had assumed that the default would be to continue to deliver with bags and charge for them. It was a bit awkward with bending. Next time I will try placing a stool outside for the crates to be placed on and I will transfer the groceries into reusable carrier bags.
The law applies to deliveries. Most supermarkets will charge a flat fee of 40p per delivery with bags regardless of the number of bags used. Ocado is charging 5p per bag used but then refunding 5p per bag returned for recycling.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities
Community Veteran

ok thanks.
My plan is if they turn up next week without bags (will pay the 40P) then I will hand bags to the driver to bag it up for me.
When I did the order for this week there was no option for bags, they added it after I ordered.
Fixes: 47

When I visited Tesco earlier this week with my bags-for-life and went through the pay-and-go checkout, there were bundles of plastic bags hung in the area as usual.
I didn't need any but wondered what would happen if I took a couple, popped some tins in them and left the shop.
Would I have been pounced upon by a pack of marauding security guards, the plastic bags confiscated and be taken to a secure area for interrogation and subsequent incarceration Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: chrcoluk
Asda claim it does and my delivery came today without bags, and I hurt my back taking out all the items one by one.  The driver said asda are adding an option for deliveries to pay for bags but I believe the law excludes deliveries.

I put in an order with Asda this morning, and on the checkout bit I noticed they added the carrier bags thing which I took a screenshot of:
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
When I visited Tesco earlier this week with my bags-for-life and went through the pay-and-go checkout, there were bundles of plastic bags hung in the area as usual.
I didn't need any but wondered what would happen if I took a couple, popped some tins in them and left the shop.
Would I have been pounced upon by a pack of marauding security guards, the plastic bags confiscated and be taken to a secure area for interrogation and subsequent incarceration Undecided

Since you are now required to pay for bags, they are 'goods' just like any other item you might buy from the shop and if you take them without paying then it's theft, this might seem strange because we've been so used to getting them for free but it's really as simple as that.
Baskets (and trolleys) are not 'goods' but are the property of the retailer and removing them from the premises is also theft.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Miss Smith filmed the security guards as one told her that customers were taking the baskets home with them

To a point thats a fair comment from the guards - especially if the branch managers have asked them to be vigilant about it.
But as pointed out elsewhere.. no-one seems to give two hoots about trolleys being taken.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A year or so back I went to a very large Tesco in Poole with the intention of only getting a couple of small items so picked up a basket.
While there I checked the wine section and saw my favourite wine on offer so cleared the shelf (all 12 bottles) and put it in the basket as I don't trust those cardboard wine carriers (bottom occasionally fails)
At the checkout I asked if I could use the basket to carry them to the car. It was explained that normally that wasn't permitted but let me anyway.
So this isn't a new policy
As an aside at around that time they introduced the £1 coin system for getting a trolley -  I don't know if it is still being used