Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco clubcard vouchers STOLEN!

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Tesco clubcard vouchers STOLEN!

Many years ago (around the turn of the century) my vouchers 'went missing' from my jacket at work.  I telephoned Tesco to see if they could be spent without the card, and they said no they couldn't, and promptly replaced them (or added the points to my next batch, I can't remember which).

On a recent visit to Sainsbury's I had a voucher they'd sent me (spend £20 and get £3 off or something), and the self-service till wouldn't accept it until I'd scanned my card.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

I’ve been thinking about this @HairyMcbiker and due to where you live and the locations where the tokens were used, could this be an ‘inside job’. I.E. A rouge employee skimming tokens and cancelling their dispatch in an attempt to hide it?

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

@Mook - a possibility, if I remember correctly, the vouchers are dispatched from a Rotherham facility.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

If so then it was hardly worth it. My vouchers weren't worth that much compared to some. (<£10 but that is a lot to me)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Moons ago my partners debit card got skimmed / cloned and had funds stolen from it. The police looked into it and it eventually came down to a crooked member of Tesco staff behind the customer service desk.

I also reckon your vouchers have been had by an insider.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Where there's brass there's muck... Police

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
If so then it was hardly worth it. My vouchers weren't worth that much compared to some. (<£10 but that is a lot to me)

If I am correct and these are being syphoned off by an employee what's to stop them doing this any number of times a day or week. It would soon add up and be well worth while for them. It doesn't matter how much your vouchers are worth you're still out of pocket as a result.

Community Veteran

OK Tesco finally got in touch with me. They have passed to the fraud dept. So expect a letter with a form to fill in saying I explicitly did not receive them.
Community Veteran

After not hearing from them for over a month, I called them again.

Apparently they have just re-added the "stolen" points back to my account, without informing me, or contacting me.

So +1 for re-adding the points -5 for not telling me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Glad you got that sorted.

Communication between individual departments in some companies is poor or non existent, same with communication between companies and customers.

Amazes me that they can still remain in existence.

Usually down to poor management.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Good to hear they've resolved it for you at last HMcB but did they have any explanation for how your original vouchers vanished?

Seems odd to me that they'd take a month to just add points back to your account, seems more like they've got caught up in a police investigation to me.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well good @HairyMcbiker it is sorted.

To me it sounds like in inside scam job. Tesco have given you what you wanted back, but won't give any detail as to what really happened to shut you up.

It is like all these things scammers take for granted.

If was a large amount they know you would complain straight away.
If it is small, the chances are most people wouldn't realise, and even if they did they wouldn't bother for a few pounds.

So they take the latter option, and imagine if there were hundreds of people they say nicked £5 in loyalty points. Well that'll pay for their shop won't it?

Community Veteran

No answer as to how, and I don't know when they added the points, as I haven't shopped in T much this month, and rarely check my points balance.

Given the small amount the vouchers were worth (<£10), I don't think it was organised. I think the most likely was a thief at the originating sorting office. Whether or not T pursued it further is up to them I am just happy to have the points restored and hopefully we will get the vouchers next month.
Rapthorne
Rising Star

Surely they should link your vouchers to your tesco clubcard so they can only be redeemed if you scan the matching clubcard?

Simple security step that would stop any sort of clubcard voucher theft in it's tracks (unless they nicked your club card, too!)

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 6GB
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Case: Red/Black NZXT S340 Elite
Community Veteran

Since they are shared by many customers this would stop them, e.g. parents give them to their offspring etc.