.  Grin Grin
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tesco announce 20,000 new jobs

Good news for the economy Smiley Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Why? Being a country of shop keepers does not generate wealth. Would be better to generate 20,000 jobs in manufacturing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

"Every little helps" !  Wink
Community Veteran

Less people claiming benefits as well.  Saves my taxes Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The only way Tesco can generate jobs is if you all eat more Roll eyes
In Filey supermarkets have closed in competition with a new Tesco
Not me I'm in Saudi Arabia dreaming of a bacon sandwitch  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
Good news for the economy Smiley Smiley

For Tesco it's good news yes. It's also good news for those who are managers who get a decent salary. For everyone else it's just another unfulfilling job that doesn't actually help them a great deal. Yes it may be good for the economy (which is an artificial man-made creation that has no thoughts or feelings) but its not necessarily good for the people (who do live, breath and have thoughts and feelings). If you're part of a large family, still living at home etc then sure, it may be like rock star money but if you don't have anything like that and have to look after yourself and struggle to make that sort of pay stretch then its a miserable life existence.
Quote from: itsme
Why? Being a country of shop keepers does not generate wealth. Would be better to generate 20,000 jobs in manufacturing.

I don't see that wealth creation is the important factor really. Too many people talk about 'wealth' and the reality is no-one NEEDS to be rich. Being able to live a comfortable life yes, I can agree with that but being rich is just overkill and has led to many divisions in society already.
I did some work for Tesco a couple of years back. I was the only one of three people who turned up and despite the conditions I worked every single day that they wanted me. Within the first 2 days everyone from the customer service desk to the store manager knew who I was because of the effort I was putting in and the results they were seeing. The customer service desk even told me they'd had customers compliment them on my work. I then found out I was being paid less than the trolley pushers despite being both experienced and qualified in what I was doing. I put up with that but then when I offered them my services the next year when they needed people to do the job again they didn't even answer me and instead used two builders who were clueless.: Tesco a good company?  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: artmo
Less people claiming benefits as well.  Saves my taxes Smiley

I think this Is right up your street...
Tesco has again been making headlines in the UK, this time over the company's involvement in the coalition government's controversial scheme to force unemployed people to take part in unpaid work placements.
The retail giant's involvement in the scheme came under the spotlight last week, when the retailer published an advert seeking permanent workers in exchange for expenses and jobseeker's allowance.
In the face of mass media attention and protests organised by campaign group Right to Work, the wheels quickly began spinning at the Tesco PR machine.
The advert, Tesco insisted, was simply the result of an IT processing error at the Job Centre Plus. Moreover, a spokesperson emphasised, participants would be guaranteed a job interview upon completion of the voluntary work placement.
The corporate message is clear then: in spite of first appearances, the company is not looking to replace full-time permanent workers with an army of jobseekers who are paid (by the taxpayer) a measly GBP1.78 an hour, if they are under 25, rising to GBP2.25 if they are over 25.

sauce
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another Tesco headline
In January, the supermarket giant had £5bn wiped off its stock market value in a single day after it revealed poor Christmas trading.
Tesco reported a 2.3% decline in like-for-like sales excluding VAT and petrol in the six weeks to 7 January, falling below its own expectations.
Community Veteran

The CEO made  a very clear statement showing why the jobs were being created.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Does that mean 20,000 less jobs in small local shops?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

AlaricAdair. Yes but they will get jobs again In the Local Indian restaurant(s)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: itsme
Would be better to generate 20,000 jobs in manufacturing.

There are plenty of jobs in agriculture; nobody wants to do them as pay is too low. The UK still imports over 60% of its Organic Food,

If we scrapped the Common Agriculture Policy and Farm subsidy payments.
.........let the farm gate prices reach a realistic level,
................farm workers could receive a decent wage.
.........................food cost would go up (probably solve the obesity problem on the way)
...............................taxes would come down
The Cost of living would initially go up so those who don't pay tax would initially loose out, ... so increase benefits accordingly.
The other losers would be the French Farmers.............which would be a very positive move Roll eyes Roll eyes

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
AlaricAdair. Yes but they will get jobs again In the Local Indian restaurant(s)

not round here, they have done a lot in the last few months, Chinese as well
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2011/october/72-braintree
http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/9558318.Braintree__Immigration_raid_targets_remain_in_...
Fixes: 47

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Not me I'm in Saudi Arabia dreaming of a bacon sandwitch  Cheesy

Hope they're not monitoring your internet traffic. You could lose a body part for even suggesting that. Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation