cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco: Substitutions - you won't pay more...

Fixes: 125

Tesco: Substitutions - you won't pay more...

...Except you can.

Firstly, though I have no substitutions set globally on my orders so was surprised when they made a substitution this morning.

I ordered 10x 380g boxes of Patterson's shortbread biscuits at £10 which was substituted for 10 x 250g packets of Tesco's own brand and charged £8.90. On the face of it I am being charged less, but am I?

2500g at Patterson's prices should have cost £6.58 a £2.32 difference.

A quick call mainly to find out why the substitution took place and I was refunded the difference and the delivery charge as well as a call back from the branch manager tomorrow to explain why they were substituted.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Tesco: Substitutions - you won't pay more...

Well Spotted.... yes, it does "appear" that you are paying less, BUT.. when you work out the "per gramme" prices like that, there is certainly a bit of "smoke and mirrors" to the substitution lark....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Computer error, out of stock, or some similar explination they expect you to believe.

They are not going to tell you the real reason........the chance you might think their stuff is better and cheaper and order it in future.

Wink

Community Veteran

You should consider yourself lucky it wasn't "free".

Then it would have really cost you.

LordFox
Grafter

Asda play games with the 'special offers'. We nearly always have one item in a mutlibuy offer that is substituted, thus having to pay more for every item because the offer is no longer valid. I have to get it refunded almost every time.

Our last order, three weeks ago, arrived absolutely covered in slimy detergent powder slurry; washing machine or dish washer. Must have been a burst packet stacked above ours, add the condensation in the van...

We didn't realise until after the driver had left and we were unpacking but practically everything was saturated with it and ruined.

Asda took seven days to do something (redeliver most, not all, of the order) and only that after I called them every day except Sunday to try and get them to do something. They also promised a voucher for my 'inconvenience' but so far that has not materialised.

I think the only thing that finally shifted them was me saying that I had involved Environmental Health. At that point, for the first time, I suddenly could speak to a manager. Up to then, I was promised an urgent call back from a manager, which never happened.

The guy from Environmental Health called me the other day and is following it up. He wasn't impressed.

Fixes: 125

I have used ASDA, Sainsburys and Tesco and feel that Tesco support in these kind of instances has been the best. Willing to take the customer's word and refund immediately.

I received an email within a short time of my call detailing the refund.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've only really used Asda myself (did use Sainsburys a few time about 4.5 year ago, but forgot about it!), and I've got the "No Substitutions" thing turned on, but, on Saturday when I'd ordered some beers, they'd substituted a couple of out-of-stock ones with a couple of another brand (Badger "Thrice Hopped" Hopping Hare instead of Wells' Waggle Dance honey beer, they weren't great, would have preferred Wells Triple-hopped IPA instead), which was odd considering I had substitutions set to "No subs", but, oh well, got to try a different beer, didn't like it, but still had it... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mav wrote:

I have used ASDA, Sainsburys and Tesco and feel that Tesco support in these kind of instances has been the best. Willing to take the customer's word and refund immediately.

I received an email within a short time of my call detailing the refund.

We use ASDA and find that while their service can sometimes be a PITA and their substitutions completely stupid, they also refund very quickly. There was one exception, they stiffed us on something once and said they'd credit us a £10 voucher. I think it was 7 months before that was applied to the account - 7 months.

On the upside however their IT systems were so bad that they once had a billing system error nationwide. The result being we got £70 of shopping for free.

Tescos system used to be quite good too.. I had a friend who would often go in there, buy the reduced stuff, take advantage of the BOGOF offers on those same goods and get refunded to take the items away instead of paying. Sometimes if you get a refund on a discounted item it will give you back the full cost too.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!