cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco Forgotten Password

Fixes: 123

Tesco Forgotten Password

About to login to Tesco and get the following message
As part of our ongoing work to always protect your security we kindly ask you to create a new password using the 'Forgotten your password' link

I'm used to some sites requesting you to change a password once you've logged in but not prior to logging in. I entered the site by typing tesco.com but am still suspicious.
Anyone else getting this message?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Tesco Forgotten Password

I've just logged straight into my account with no interruptions.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Pro

Hi Mav I just logged into the groceries department without that message you are getting.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Just logged in and didn't get the message you're seeing either
Community Veteran

Nope - all working for me - just logged in without a problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I walked to tesco an hour & a half ago and didn't get asked for a password... Grin

I'm seeing it using Chrome, FF and IE.
I may give them a ring later.
Edit: Just tried using FF on SWMBO's PC with the same result. I think that eliminates my PC having been compromised. I'll still ring - probably tomorrow.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Decided to ring the helpline now to be told that the message is correct and that they're getting long-standing online customers to change their passwords if they haven't been changed in a while.
She also mentioned something about a potential security breach but was very vague.
I suggested the message could be made clearer as to why the password needs to be reset and have been given an email address for further information.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
She also mentioned something about a potential security breach but was very vague.

I was just going to say in other words, they've been hacked and some accounts are more at risk than others (eg one particular database / server got breached while the others didn't).
Tesco will never admit to any fault of any kind but if you use that same password anywhere else, change it. Also keep an eye on your bank / credit card statements..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Strange you should say that...
I got a text message this morning from Barclays asking me to confirm 3 transactions that had been flagged as potential fraud. I never respond to these directly so I rang their fraud helpline. One of the transactions was Ok the other two were not by me - one for a company based in Mauritius and the other in the States.
Strange part is that one of the transactions (both relatively small amounts) was from a card that was cancelled a couple of years ago when I applied for a personalised one.
My passwords for banking are unique and nothing like those for forums or shopping. Anyway, current card cancelled immediately and new one on its way.
I suspect that the small amounts were to test the water and, if they went through, larger amounts would have been tried.
I don't believe the Tesco issue and the bank are connected, though.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I don't believe the Tesco issue and the bank are connected, though.

Well that depends how long you've been with Tesco and whether or not you used those old cards with them. You may not remember ever doing so but who truly remembers every financial transaction? - I certainly can't!
Quite plausible that Tesco may have had your old card details and the recent issue with their site saw them stolen by hackers who had no idea they were old / expired and decided to try their luck.
Of course i could also be talking a load of b*****ks  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

You may have a point there. I always assumed, under data protection laws, they weren't meant to keep details of expired cards. Now I may be talking what you said Wink
I will email Tesco for further details of the security breach.
The old card that had been used has been superseded twice with personalised ones. I just remembered that last July/August Barclays contacted me to let me know that they had cancelled my card then due to the possibility of fraudulent activity for a selection of their customers. When I enquired what that meant I was told that they had identified that certain cards may be subject to potential fraudulent use but that none had been so far. The cards were cancelled and re-issued as a precaution. They wouldn't give any further details as that 'would leave their fraud protection open to abuse' even though I wanted to know whether is was online, using a reader or ATM and what websites had been flagged to see if it rang any bells.
Having had fraudulent use of my cards twice over the last 10 years or so I am extremely vigilant as to where and how I use them.
Edit: Regarding the old card; I was told that the website it was entered into immediately rejected the card as being invalid but the attempted use still gets passed on to Barclays for confirmation/authorisation.