cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco Asda And Carrier Bag Charges

Steve
Pro

Tesco Asda And Carrier Bag Charges

Home delivery,  first email from Tesco and now today Asda seems we have a cartel on the new carrier bag charges for Scotland.
First from Tesco
So that we comply at tesco.com, unless you choose a bagless delivery, there will now be a charge of 40p (previously 35p) per order for an online grocery delivery or collection. Why have we increased this charge?When we first launched plastic carrier bag charges, we estimated that we would use 7 chargeable carrier bags per bagged order. Now we have reviewed the numbers, the average is 8 carrier bags so we need to increase the charge.

Today Asda
We offer bag-less and flat fee charge options to customers shopping online. If you prefer to have your online shopping supplied in plastic bags, we currently charge a mandatory flat fee of 30p. However from the 5th October, to make sure we’re compliant with the legislation and charging enough for the number of bags being included in our deliveries this charge will increase to 40p.

I wonder what will happen when they run out of excuses when they say we use more carrier bags for home delivery than the last time we stuck the prices up. Time for some action. Two different superstores with the same issue? forgive me if I am a little sceptical. Yes I know you can get your home deliveries without bags but that is not the point is it?
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Tesco Asda And Carrier Bag Charges

they're just raising them to match the charge in England - I've had one from Asda saying it will be 40p when the charges are introduced from the 5th.
Will Moderate For Thanks
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah I always go bag less with online shopping, why do I want all that rubbish to chuck in the bin for / hopefully more people will do the same.
as a side note its rather cheeky to charge everyone a flat fee, they should have a fee based on the estimated number of bags for the order, I normally order about 20 trays worth of produce which in my estimation would be around 50 bags worth based on size and weight, so why should someone doing the minimum order have to pay extra to fund those that do larger orders ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Steve
Pro

Its a good point nano that I was going to raise but you have raised it yourself. I give it a year or two and see how much charges are then but more importantly where the bag charge cash has went. All of it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I got the asda email this morning too, I think I'll opt for the no-bag option as they are really annoying in how they bag things up as my last order from them I bought two lots of foil takeaway-style containers (I like to bulk-cook stuff & freeze it), they put those in their own bag, which seems a waste of a bag when there was room in other bags (also wasted space) for them to go into... Roll eyes
As for packing my own shopping been using my rucksack for years, so it's no real change only ever take a bag if I buy more than I can fit in the rucksack (which is a lot), but now I have a BFL stored in the rucksack so won't really need their offerings any more... Smiley
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Tesco increased its minimum order to £40 a couple of months ago (one off and saver). ASDA has had a minimum order of £25 but £40 with a Saver. In some areas such as within the M25 all ASDA orders have to be a minimum of £40.
The changes will mean that on average a delivery will require more bags than was previously the case.