Terry Pratchett has died aged 66.
I always admired the way he refused to be been by his illness. RIP
Terry Pratchett
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Terry Pratchett Dies

Another of my favourite authors gone
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Created an whole genre to himself
Who will carry on the batten  Embarrassed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

I enjoyed reading his books and their quirky humour.
For example, if memory serves me right, in the stories there was a religious sect those members spent lifetimes trying to work out whether the turtle the world rode on was male or female. As at some point it might mean the destruction of their world.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

A sad loss for us TP fans. Wonder if anyone can continue the genre on, now that he has passed to the great publisher's clearance house.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

His daughter is a writer (done some very good games) who is also working on a Wee Free Men movie and TV show called The Watch (based on the night watch).  Been in development since 2011 and if memory serves due to start filming this year (unsure when) and it'll be a kind of pratchett/csi style
(According to one of my friends... at least)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Wonder if anyone can continue the genre on, now that he has passed to the great publisher's clearance house.

I assume that the Long Earth series (with Stephen Baxter) might continue but I can't see anymore Discworld novels happening.
Community Veteran

Very touching how Sir Terry announced his own death on his twitter account. The tweet was written as if from Death, who was a character in many of his books, who leads people to the afterlife. It read 'At last Sir Terry, we must walk together'.
A close friend tweeted, 'Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night. The End'
Very moving Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@artmo Wasn't it tweeted in CAPITALS, Wink
agreed very moving
Community Veteran

@journeys, I read the tweets in the paper so don't know if it was in capitals or not.  Undecided
snozboz
Grafter

This seems like a lovely memorial for Terry: http://www.gnuterrypratchett.com/ - putting a reference to his name, within a reference to one of his Discworld books "Going Postal", in to the headers served by internet servers and services.  The idea came from a reddit post.