cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terror Attack

Community Veteran

Terror Attack

A terrible attack in Woolwich yesterday ending in the death of one of our soldiers. How can such a thing happen on our streets and in broad daylight? 
Soldier Killed
Our thoughts go to the soldier and his family.
74 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Terror Attack

In case you are not up with the story there were 2 attackers and it looks like they were both residents of the UK.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There are a number of questions that need to be answered though such as why? did it take armed police 20 minutes to get to the scene and why? were 3 (incredibly brave I might add) women bystanders able to approach the attackers while they apparently "waited" for the police to arrive, as they evidently made no attempt to flee the scene.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

A very disturbing attack.
I can't help but wonder how people can do that to other people?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

It's because of the news we don't see (and don't care to find out).  These people are angry at the way women, children (and men) are treated in Iraq and Afghanistan, they are shown distressing images of the women and children which fuels their anger and are then told "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" so show us what is happening over there.  It's a really sad state of affairs, people over here are now angry at the images of the guy with blood soaked hands, our less intelligent part of society may take it in to their own hands to extract revenge on normal followers of Islam (who are, by and large, peaceful people who are also disgusted by this attack).  Until people say "okay, we've had enough eyes and teeth, let's just talk instead" this cycle of hate, anger and revenge is going to continue. 
It's really horrific for the normal Islam believers who are going to be mistreated because of the actions of the unstable few.  I think the best message possible was the message given after the 7/7 bombings in London, rather than mass anger and shouts for revenge, a simple piece of paper with "we are not afraid" was the best solution, we're not afraid, we're not going to let you win with terror, we're not going to blame, we're going to get on with our lives, we'll pay our respects but we will not let terror win nor will we let your message of hate have any effect, we are not afraid.
Community Veteran

@Petlew, the Police response certainly did not appear to be very fast but I wonder in practical terms how quickly an armed response vehicle could be expected to get to the scene through London traffic and the location of the unit.
Fixes: 47

What a strange situation.
A body in the middle of the street.
A blood stained man standing on the pavement armed with knives and talking to a camera.
Women with shopping walking past him as though it's a movie set.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It disturbs me how religion continues to be dragged into these issues. People blaming islam while others defend it yet who once dares to drag christianity into it?
The USA is known for invading and bombing plenty of countries (with or without us) yet no-one slates christianity for it yet islam is always somehow at the heart of terrorism whether its being blamed or defended.
Does no-one realise that this religious crap needs to stop? We can't carry on blaming "the gods" for all these things. It has to stop. We must take responsibility for our own actions when it comes to wars, murders, innocent people being killed etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Our record book isn't that clean.
Maybe if we had kept ourselves out of other country's business more........just saying.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I think the murderers brought religion into it with their statement made after the murder.
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
It disturbs me how religion continues to be dragged into these issues. People blaming islam while others defend it yet who once dares to drag christianity into it?

Peole doing this sort of this, while shouting 'God is Great' in arabic, tends to link it to Islamic extremism, and by the transitive property to Islam itself.
Unfortunately, the actions of a few have tainted the image of Islam, but certain aspects of the religion itself don't help.
Quote from: Sprite
Does no-one realise that this religious [Censored] needs to stop? We can't carry on blaming "the gods" for all these things. It has to stop. We must take responsibility for our own actions when it comes to wars, murders, innocent people being killed etc.

Lots of people realise this,  but not enough yet. Religion is a convenient scapegoat,  until the vast majority actually see all religions for what tey really are,  things won't improve.
Quote from: Petlew
why ...  they apparently "waited" for the police to arrive, as they evidently made no attempt to flee the scene.

In america,  that is usually called 'suicide by cop'.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
why? did it take armed police 20 minutes to get to the scene

Armed police taking this long could lead to some very messy circumstances. Maybe slightly far fetched but if this happened in some village I could imagine farmers with shotguns turning up long before the police. But anyone could end up take the law into their own hands by simply driving their car straight at them. I'm surprised no one did.
Religion may take the blame but those animals were nothing more than ignorant racists using religion as an excuse. It was all you people this and your country that.
Community Veteran

I don't know how many armed response vehicles there are in London but I doubt if there are more than 4-6 of them. If there was one in say Brixton it would certainly take 20 minutes to get to Woolwich. I don't know what could have been done to get a speedier response.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Very tragic situation for all concerned, no question that violence begets violence and more innocent people will suffer as a result of this.
There is a Law relating to incitement to violence but no doubt these people have been geared up by several sources including the internet and can only see one side of the problem, in short you are either for us or against us. Add to that the promise of an afterlife where you will be regarded as a hero for taking such action and it's likely similar incidents to this will take place involving innocent people.
From News reports the Police have 3 armed response vehicles in various parts of London but these are based in areas which have the potential, based on police intellegence reports, where such responses are likely required. Unfortunately the area where this incident occurred was not one of these areas hence the delay in armed police arriving at the scene.
In all fairness to the Police who could have predicted an incident was likely in this area ?
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
I don't know how many armed response vehicles there are in London but I doubt if there are more than 4-6 of them.

According to the TV News that I just watched there are always at least 12 . 6 North of the Thames and 6 South.