Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminate the Rate

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Terminate the Rate

www.terminatetherate.org
What do you think?  Should Plusnet get involved with this do you think?
For
* The campaign is directed at putting pressure on Ofcom to act to reduce or remove the extra charge mobile operators impose for taking traffic over their network – this extra charge is one reason calling mobiles are so expensive. Calling mobiles could be a lot cheaper if this were removed or reduced.
* This might lead to unlimited call plans to mobiles as we see with landlines.
* Growing support from companies and orgs like BT, Plain English Campaign, unions, Carers.

Against
* The campaign has been set up by 3.  They are likely to have a vested interest in this.  Data submitted on the petition form goes to them. Read the T&Cs before joining.
* Mobile companies may try alternate means of making up lost revenues in the future of this goes through via some other form of pricing alteration.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Terminate the Rate

The more the merrier - even if the mobile phone tariffs will need to be increased to recover the lost revenue
itsme
Grafter

Will it make much difference between mobile to mobile company? They will not be paying out or receiving payments so could work out as cash neutral. An affect is that the mobile companies will lose revenue from landlines so will the net outcome be that mobiles will cost more?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

jim:post topics merged mod:end
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Thanks Jim.  That's much better Smiley
itsme
Grafter

3 probably have a vested interest as I believe they are allowed to charge more that the other 4 until 2011.
deadkenny
Grafter

My only hesitation in this is if it will lead the operators to start charging the consumer directly for receiving calls, like in the US.
But whilst we're at it, can we stop the rip off in mobile data charging as well, especially roaming overseas (North America being the worst. £8 per MB Orange!!! What planet are they on!) ?
Community Veteran

Given the simply enormous sum the operators bid for their 3G licences - and the stories I've heard about the financial position of the companies - I don't what the end result would be. They would need to put costs up elsewhere surely ?.