Fixes: 2

Re: Terminally ill teen won historic ruling to freeze body

Cryogenics: The people who believe in a chance to come back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38015491

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Personally I think that sort of money would be better spent on the living rather than on a dream for the dead that would become a nightmare if it ever came true. Crazy2

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

@Minivanman

I have to agree with you there.

Also, they froze her after dying so, to paraphrase Bones, She's dead, Jim. Now if she was frozen before death maybe there would be a way of bringing her back for a cure. 

Either way I think the cryogenics firm must be on to a winner. I saw over £60,000 being banded about for a couple to be frozen in one of the links.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

The idea of passing on the debt of responsibility to descendents does not sit well with me, especially when it's only an option for the wealthy and anyway, just imagine the horror of a world full of Lenin like zombies that you are related to!

Me, I'm happy to die when my time comes in order to make room for the living. Defrost your 5th great granny and bring her back from the dead? Holy Moses not on your Nelly, I'd pull the plug first.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Infinity wrote:

Cryogenics: The people who believe in a chance to come back

The main problem I see is that everyone you knew would be DEAD !!!

And according to a Doctor on TV this morning, your DNA starts to degenerate as soon as you die

70 Cryogenically stored subjects, their storage facility went bust, so they were all removed & buried normally

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Of course it would be possible for you to come back at anytime you wanted in the future but certainly not by freezing your body in this way prior to it being pumped full of chemicals.

The way to come back is similar to the way they did,' Dolly the Sheep', remember that ?

Simply freeze some basic cells, similar to how some women freeze their cells for a later date, so you would be recreated exactly as you are today but your memory would have to be recreated details of which could be recorded now but would you want to think and act like you do now or would the 'new you' not like the 'old you'

Minivanman
Hero

Or you could just have children and pass yourself on that way..... now there's an idea!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mav wrote:

@Minivanman

I have to agree with you there.

Also, they froze her after dying so, to paraphrase Bones, She's dead, Jim. Now if she was frozen before death maybe there would be a way of bringing her back for a cure. 

Sorry but I disagree with you both. At 14 years old the poor girl never had a chance. Granted that happens all over the world but if she can raise the funds to be frozen and she wants to take the chance of a second shot at life that is her choice and it should be respected.

With regards to the time of death, she was cooled down 2 minutes after the heart stopped beating - thus the oxygen required by cells is a lot less and when frozen it will certainly be a lot less.

Personally myself I think it's a waste of time this cryogenic thing on a body that is beyond hope. Sure one day future generations may well be able to work a miracle but surely by that point in time it would be easier to grow a cloned body and perform a head transplant. Trying to save a frozen body would require thawing it out first to treat / operate on it. If the girl is dead and then thawed that alone would almost certainly reduce her chances.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

Her choice indeed and few would deny it but, she is passing on responsibility to future generations and the facts around the case should not be diluted because of sympathy however well deserved.

A line needs to be drawn, and not by those that hold such a nebulous hope..... because that's all it is and besides where do we stop with all of this, the entire population becoming immortal?

Crazy crazy crazy, A world of the deserving preserving dead and those that can afford it, against those deemed unworthy and a lot less wealthy. It's a friggin nightmare and is wrong wrong wrong. Here we are in a country with food banks and homeless families alongside somebody about to spend £40k grasping at a straw that might exist 500 years in the future.

It's unethical. End of.  

Community Veteran

So what you're saying is that you're jealous?

Minivanman
Hero

Jealous? Far from it, I'm horrified.

Community Veteran

It should be possible to regenerate a human from a sample of DNA in the future. Why freeze the whole body?

With cryogenics there's no likelihood that existing memories will be preserved so you might as well start from just DNA and whist doing that repair the DNA to remove the cancer propensity.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

With cryogenics there's no likelihood that existing memories will be preserved

What makes you say that? - I heard someone on the TV say the same thing but they never explained why.

Minivanman
Hero

The bottom line? They don't know. Roll eyes