cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tens pain relief

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Tens pain relief

Does anybody have any experience of Tens pain relief machines? Do they do what they say on the tin...
I'm especially interested if anyone can report on the knee wrap version.
Are the more expensive versions more effective than the cheaper ones? online prices range from £34ish (the knee wrap is extra) to in excess of £150+
Tens or EMS?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Tens pain relief

One of my neighbours, who was a sister midwife, used one and said that it worked - not knee wrap version.
I recall she was initially lent one by pain management team at the L&D and subsequently purchased one for about £60.
When I purchased my blood pressure monitor I did it on line and saved a lot so worth having a good look round.
john50
Grafter

I've had some pretty major low back issues which resulted in surgery to implant  a wallis ligament to stabilise the worst disc.
Working with my physio prior to surgery she lent me a Tens machine which she set up properly for my condition.
It worked really well for me so much so she gave me that machine free gratis.(i had been going once and frequently twice a week for the best part of a year just to be able to keep mobile"ish")
There are differences between the cheaper versions that are virtually  "plug and play " and more expensive versions
It  definitely helped me but I think how it is set up plays a key factor
Community Veteran

I've had a machine for many years and find it is good at easing pain.  Here's some to look at:
TENS
More TENS
Some of the ebay ones look very good.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Had a spell of Sciatica for over 2 years,tried everything I could think of to ease the pain including a Tens machine but nothing helped apart from one thing.... Alcohol. It Didn't make the pain go but it eased it a lot.
Drugs prescribed by the GP had bad side effects and physiotherapy was useless.
So perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the Tens machine as it may be ok for minor pain but anything serious I doubt it will work.
Community Veteran

Last time I was in Lloyds Pharmacy they had a good selection of TENS machines in there.  From their website:
Lloyds
john50
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
So perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the Tens machine as it may be ok for minor pain but anything serious I doubt it will work.

Believe me I had some pretty serious pain  it didn't make the pain  totally disapear but it helped, lets face they don't do spinal surgery just for the hell of it!, the only reason I was  vaguely mobile prior to surgery was down to the pyhsio.
as everything, it may not work for all but it certainly helped me 
Community Veteran

Some physios use them.  One physio I used had a large machine which she used as well as having smaller models that she loaned to patients.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@john50...snap! had major spine surgery in 2000; fixation and fusion of 4th, 5th lumbar vertebrae which were causing severe pressure on the sciatic nerves. The pain from sciatica is difficult to describe; if you burn your finger on a hot surface, the pain is intense but short lived. Sciatica, is grinding pain that simply doesn't go away. Most of your waking hours are spent trying to get into a comfortable position that relieves the pain.
Was eventually operated on at the Royal National Orthopaedic at Stanmore north London with a 20% chance of never walking again. Good enough odds for me.   
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
john50
Grafter

Petlew
Central disc bulge at L3/4 touching L  nerve root ,
L4/5 central bulge touching both L5 nerves and 45% spinal canal stenosis
central bulge at L5/S1 plus a 5mm node touching right S1 nerve
discectomys at all levels  and wallis ligament implanted at L4/5 to try to ease and keep the movement.
Unfortunately since then been diagnosed  similar issues at c2/3 and C3/4 including nerve involvement.
 not just my ruddy legs but my flipping arms now  Roll eyes
The comment from my GP on reading the scans was along the lines of "How the hell are you walking"